This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 53.2811 / 53°16'51"N
Longitude: -3.6647 / 3°39'52"W
OS Eastings: 289106
OS Northings: 377307
OS Grid: SH891773
Mapcode National: GBR 2ZVH.DJ
Mapcode Global: WH656.PS3H
Plus Code: 9C5R78JP+C4
Entry Name: Old Telegraph House
Listing Date: 30 November 1964
Last Amended: 28 July 1997
Source ID: 148
Building Class: Domestic
Location: Located in a commanding position on the highest point of the Mynydd Marian, with spectacular views of the bay to the N and the uplands to the rear accessed via a long unmetalled track running W from B
Traditional County: Denbighshire
Former semaphore station, subsequently converted to use as a telegraph house; one of a series built in 1841 by the trustees of the Liverpool Docks, and, like that surviving at Prestatyn, ascribable to Jesse Hartley, Chief Engineer to the Mersey Docks and Harbour Board. Originally a 2-bay rectangular structure with central stack, it was extended to the S and N later in the C19; further, modern alterations and additions.
Single-storey building, consisting of a primary rectangular block with later extension to S and with modern, flat-roofed, bow-windowed addition to north. Of whitened brick construction, the (early) additions of whitened rubble. The original section retains its contemporary slate roof with graduated courses, and has sandstone copings up to half hips (the S. extension, also slated, repeats this treatment). Central rendered chimney with clustered octagonal flues; small, plain chimney to extension. 2 recessed windows to W side (and formerly also to E), with cambered heads and modern small-pane glazing. Modern windows and openings elsewhere, including a canted bay to E. A large C19 stone tablet in the N gable bears the inscription: " Llysfaen Telegraph, built in 1841 by the trustees of the Liverpool Docks". Below, a single-storey later C19 lean-to addition of slated rubble extends the full length of the gable. To the R a modern porch has been incorporated with, projecting northwards immediately beyond, a bowed modern addition. A small, single-storey rubble addition adjoins the gable lean-to to the E; pitched, slated roof and late C19/early C20 4-pane casement to front. Beyond, a modern glazed extension.
The interior was not inspected at the time of survey (3/97).
Included, notwithstanding alterations, for its special historic interest as a scarce surviving example of a mid C19 semaphore/telegraph station.
Other nearby listed buildings