This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 53.2835 / 53°17'0"N
Longitude: -3.6746 / 3°40'28"W
OS Eastings: 288450
OS Northings: 377584
OS Grid: SH884775
Mapcode National: GBR 2ZSG.7P
Mapcode Global: WH656.JQDP
Entry Name: Ty Mawr
Listing Date: 28 July 1997
Last Amended: 28 July 1997
Source ID: 18578
Building Class: Domestic
Location: Located on an elevated, sloping site facing the sea approximately 1.5 km W of the village centre; accessed via an unmetalled track running W from the lane and set at the southern side of a former farm
Traditional County: Denbighshire
Storeyed projecting end-chimney house (uncharacteristic for the locality) of second-half C16 date and, when built, of some quality. A fragmentary domestic range to the rear is suggestive of unit planning. C17 alterations included the sub-division of an open upper hall, whose cusped trusses are now visible in the roof; later alterations, including out-of-character additions of c1980. Earliest references show the Pierce family to have been in ownership ('Edward Pierce, of Ty Mawr, Gent.' is recorded in 1686). William Butler, Esq was however owner already in 1731, when he is recorded as having given the church sundial 'for the use of the parish.'
Tall, storeyed end chimney house of local limestone rubble (formerly rendered) with renewed slate roof. The chimneys project and have coped gables; renewed capping to stacks and simple weathercoursing. Three window front with near-centre entrance via modern porch of rubble and slate; glazed outer doors and newly-introduced 9-panel mid-Victorian pine door, the upper panels glazed. Slightly-recessed 30-pane sash windows of second-quarter C19 character, though all modern replacements. Storeyed modern addition recessed slightly to R, with porch as before and small-pane window above. Further storeyed addition to rear, with flat roof and modern windows; small-pane window to rear of primary block at R, as before.
Heavily-moulded main cross-beams to former hall (R of entrance), of third-quarter C16 character. These are carried on stone corbels at the wall and support finely stopped-chamfered joists; chamfered bressummer to large gable end fireplace. Similar cross-framing to former parlour (L), interrupted by later partitioning. Further moulded beam to upper chamber, formerly open to the roof. A stopped-chamfered entrance and chamfered ceiling joists relate to a C17 intervention. Three-bay roof with two arched-braced collar trusses with quatrefoil and trefoil decoration; that to the R (hall end) was originally a partition truss with post-and-panel screen below (mortising evidence).
Included for its special interest as a second-half C16 gentry-scale house retaining some good primary interior features.
Other nearby listed buildings