This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 53.228 / 53°13'40"N
Longitude: -3.4696 / 3°28'10"W
OS Eastings: 301993
OS Northings: 371119
OS Grid: SJ019711
Mapcode National: GBR 6K.0PP4
Mapcode Global: WH65P.P404
Entry Name: Plas-yn-Cefn
Listing Date: 6 October 1952
Last Amended: 2 June 1998
Source ID: 154
Building Class: Domestic
Location: Located approximately 200m SE of the village centre, accessed via a metalled drive and set against a hillslope to the rear.
Town: St Asaph
Locality: Cefn Meiriadog
Traditional County: Denbighshire
Early or second-quarter C18 house belonging to the Lloyds of Cefn, though incorporating part of an earlier building; this is represented by an ex situ beam dated 1611. The house became a possession of the Williams-Wynn baronets and was largely remodelled by them in the early C19 and again c1900; it incorporates an Adam marble chimneypiece, brought from Wynnstay following the fire of 1858.
Large irregular country house of local limestone rubble construction with tooled limesone dressings; slate roofs with plain chimneys and characteristic stepped, kneelered gable parapets. The NE (entrance) front has an advanced 2-storey, L-shaped section to the L, with a further section set back to the R and terminating in a cross-gabled service range. The former block has an advanced gabled part to the L with a cross-range set-back slightly to the R. Extruded in the angle between the two and projecting forwards slightly beyond the line of the gable is a c1900 single-storey gabled porch; this has a large Tudor arch with a modern glazed roof and screen doors. Within is an ex situ carved lintel beam (presumably formerly part of a post-and-panel screen), reused as the inner entrance lintel; this bears the carved date 1611 and the fragmentary motto 'Duw A Digon..' This range has large 15-pane sash windows to the ground floor with 9-pane sashes to the first floor; all have plain projecting and chamfered architraves of tooled limestone. The right-hand projecting cross-range has single 12-pane sashes to the ground and first floors of its front-facing gable. To the L is a link-block of 2 sections with crenellated parapet and flat roof; modern French window with steps leading up to it, and a 12-pane sash above.
The SE side has a central, gabled, projecting section with a 2-storey canted bay window; the timber-framed upper storey of this has paired and single 8-pane sash windows and deep eaves to its slate roof. The lower section has plain-glazed c1900 French windows. Flanking this are 2-storey wings of equal length with further 15-pane and 9-pane windows, as before, and an entrance to the far L; 4-panel door with plain overlight. Adjoining the L wing is a further projecting gabled wing, built as a small bathroom and WC range of c1900. This has 12-pane sash windows on 2 floors.
The rear (garden) elevation is roughcast and has a 3-storey, 5-bay main, primary section, set against the rock-cut slope of the hill into which the formal garden levels have been cut. The basement floor has three 16-pane C19 sash windows with two original (C18) 12-pane sashes to the R; the raised ground floor has the same arrangement in reverse, with the 3 original windows on the L; the second floor has four 12-pane windows with, to the far L an inset sandstone dedication plaque with carved cherubic head, latin inscription and the initials W LL A (for Lloyd). Four modern skylights to rear roof pitch. To the R of this main range are 2 small, lower sections, which project forwards into the garden at first-floor level; that to the L has a large rectangular, flat-roofed bay of c1900; this has a central 12-pane sash with 8-pane flanking and return sections. To the R is an entrance with part-glazed door.
The service range adjoining to the NW has a cobbled court to its NW side with a secondary entrance; this has a panelled door and tripartite overlight. Further 12-pane sash windows on 2 floors with, on the L, a stepped-gabled dormer to the roof. Adjoining this range at the N corner, and sweeping around in an arc to the front of the house, is a c1900 rubble screen wall with crenellated top; a Tudor-arched entrance with decorative wrought iron gate gives access from the entrance forecourt to the cobbled service court at the side.
The interior was not inspected at the time of survey (11/97), although an Ionic, Adam marble chimneypiece, originally from Wynnstay, is recorded.
Listed for its special historic and architectural interest as a country house of Jacobean origin with good C18 and C19 character.
Group value with other listed items at Plas-yn-Cefn.
Other nearby listed buildings