History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Former Stable Block at Plas-yn-Cefn

A Grade II Listed Building in Cefnmeiriadog, Denbighshire

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.2283 / 53°13'41"N

Longitude: -3.47 / 3°28'11"W

OS Eastings: 301966

OS Northings: 371144

OS Grid: SJ019711

Mapcode National: GBR 6K.0PKS

Mapcode Global: WH65P.N3TZ

Entry Name: Former Stable Block at Plas-yn-Cefn

Listing Date: 30 January 1968

Last Amended: 2 June 1998

Grade: II

Source: Cadw

Source ID: 19934

Building Class: Agriculture and Subsistence

Location: Located immediately to the NW of Plas-yn-Cefn at the SE side of a cobbled service court.

County: Denbighshire

Community: Cefnmeiriadog

Community: Cefnmeiriadog

Locality: Cefn Meiriadog

Traditional County: Denbighshire

Find accommodation in
Llannefydd

History

Sub-medieval range, probably contemporary with the primary house at Plas-yn-Cefn, dated 1611. A stable range since at least the C18, the building nevertheless has several primary features suggestive of an (at least partial) domestic origin, including evidence of 3 cyclopean entrances and a central chimney; it is possible that the range was originally part-stable and part-residential (upper floor), and formed one range of a unit-planned primary house. A dated stone fireplace of 1694 in a first-floor room may be C19 reuse, since its date's accompanying initials, I.P, have no genealogical meaning in this context. The building's original stepped gables were probably the inspiration for the stepped gables that were added cosmetically to all the estate buildings at Plas-yn-Cefn at the turn of this century.

Exterior

Large rectangular 2-storey range of local limestone rubble, with slate roof and original kneelered and stepped gable parapets. The NW side faces the main yard, though its ground-floor is below the level of the yard floor and its upper floor is accessed via a wooden bridge from the latter; the ground-floor is reached via a flight of stone steps at the SW end, which lead down into a narrow, open passage. Here, to the L, there is an entrance with boarded door and 6-pane overlight; flanking this are two 9-pane sash windows, that to the R occupying the reduced opening of a primary cyclopean entrance, the huge reveals and partial relieving arch of which remain visible. The upper floor has a near-central entrance via a wooden bridge, with a brick cambered head and a boarded door. To the R are 2 large C19 9-pane (unhorned) sash windows with projecting. tooled limestone architraves, their reveals chamfered. To the L are three 8-pane sliding sashes. The SE side faces the lower, subsidiary, cobbled courtyard. This has a boarded door to the L with a 9-pane cambered-headed sash window to the upper floor; to the R are 2 modern windows with a C19 8-pane sliding sash beyond. Various earlier blocked openings are visible, including a former primary entrance and some (later?) ventilation slits. The NE gable has 2 fine, blocked cyclopean entrances with flat heads and a blocked primary window above with large exposed lintel.

Surmounting the roof is a large octagonal clock tower, a c1900 copy of the C18 original on the former laundry block. This is of timber construction with slate-hung lower section and slatted upper section; octagonal roof with very deep, moulded eaves and exposed rafter ends. The clock tower is surmounted by a lead ball finial and decorative iron weathervane with the Williams-Wynn initials.

Adjoining the range to the E is a small c1900 extension, forming an L-plan with the main block. This has a mono-pitched slate roof and wide boarded entrance to the SW; further boarded door to the NE. A flight of stone steps adjoins to the L (SE) of this and gives access down from the upper cobbled level of the laundry block to the lower level of the cobbled subsidiary yard.

Interior

C19 loose boxes to the ground floor. The upper floor has a large room at the SW end, formerly the estate office and currently used as the hunt meeting room. This has a Tudor-arched stone fireplace with hollow stopped-chamfered reveals and carved guioche decoration to the spandrels; it bears the date 1694 in a raised shield, together with the initials IP.

Reasons for Listing

Listed for the special historic interest of its origins as a surviving C17 range of the original, sub-medieval house.

Group value with other listed items at Plas-yn-Cefn.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.