This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 53.2446 / 53°14'40"N
Longitude: -3.4405 / 3°26'25"W
OS Eastings: 303971
OS Northings: 372917
OS Grid: SJ039729
Mapcode National: GBR 4ZDX.YM
Mapcode Global: WH76N.3QY0
Entry Name: Wigfair Isaf
Listing Date: 30 January 1968
Last Amended: 2 June 1998
Source ID: 175
Building Class: Domestic
Location: Set within its own grounds at the eastern boundary of the community, approximately 1.8km S of St Asaph; accessed via a metalled drive running E from the road.
Town: St Asaph
Locality: Wigfair Isaf
Traditional County: Denbighshire
Double-pile house of 1708, altered and extended in the second-quarter C19 and again c1900. An ex situ date of 1708 has the accompanying initials WT.
Large, two-and-a-half storey double-pile house of whitened brick construction with painted sandstone quoins; steeply-pitched slate roofs with slab-coped and kneelered gable parapet to the SE corner of the E pile; plain rendered end chimneys. The E, garden-facing pile, retains its early C18 character. The primary section (to the L) is of 5 bays and is symmetrical, with original leaded wooden cross-windows to the ground and first floor with cambered heads; plain stringcourse between the floors. The centre bay has a c1900 2-storey porch, its roof hipped. The ground-floor of this has large 4-pane fixed windows between octagonal corner pillars and a part-glazed entrance to the L return; the upper stage is of painted brick with chamfered corners and has a similar cross-window to the front, as well as the continued stringcourse. Three 2-light leaded dormer windows with hipped roofs to attic. To the R the pile has been extended in the C19 and the roof and stringcourse are continuous. This has a tripartite sash window of 12-panes flanked by 4 to the ground floor with cambered head; above is a 12-pane first-floor sash.
The front (W) pile has a c1900 appearence. The primary section (to the R) is of three bays and is symmetrical, with a central entrance flanked by wide single-storey canted bays; these have plain sashes with single 4-pane sash windows to the first floor. The entrance is of tripartite type with 4-panel door and flanking narrow sections, with glazed upper parts and panelled dados; glazed 3-part overlight. Above the entrance is a gabled, jettied projection, supported on corbelled piers and giving the impression of a storeyed porch. This has a sash window as before with plain bargeboards and finial and applied decorative timber framing. To the L is a further, slightly-recessed bay with square first-floor oriel; this is of timber with 3-light plain mullioned and transomed window and has similar applied timber framing to its lower section. Storeyed, hipped-roofed addition to far L with entrance to E.
The orientation of the house was reversed in the C19; the rear pile (E) therefore represents the front of the early C18 house. Within the porch is an ex-situ section of oak beam with the date 1708 and initials WT carved in relief. Full-height 3-storey narrow oak well stair (relegated to back stair in the C19) with square newels with flat capping, turned balusters and moulded rail. Original raised and fielded panelled window shutters to the left hand ground and first-floor rooms; there is a high percentage of original (?) crown glass to the first-floor windows, some with etched graffiti and their scrolled ironwork is also apparently original. 5-bay attic with two plain collar trusses (apparently earlier and reused) and two original pegged oak doorcases with plank doors. The front pile has wide moulded architraves and 6-panel doors together with a late Regency stair with balustraded first-floor gallery; this has stick balusters, a mahogany rail, scrolled tread-ends and columnar newels.
Listed for the special historic interest of its well-preserved early C18 rear pile which remarkably still retains its leaded cross-frame windows.
Other nearby listed buildings