This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 53.2239 / 53°13'26"N
Longitude: -3.39 / 3°23'24"W
OS Eastings: 307296
OS Northings: 370556
OS Grid: SJ072705
Mapcode National: GBR 6N.0YVH
Mapcode Global: WH76V.W7W9
Entry Name: Ty Coch
Listing Date: 30 January 1968
Last Amended: 9 January 1998
Source ID: 222
Building Class: Domestic
Location: Located at the eastern border of the community overlooking the Afon Clwyd; accessed via a long track leading SE from an unclassified road running NE from Denbigh to Tremeirchion.
Locality: Ty Coch
Traditional County: Denbighshire
Storeyed brick house dated 1683. This was extended to the side and rear (creating a double-pile house) in 1901-2, in an Arts and Crafts restoration which also included substantial internal remodelling.
Large storeyed house of L plan with double-pile main section and advanced wing to front L. The two-and-a-half-storey front pile is the primary, late C17 section. Of hand-made red/brown brick construction on a chamfered limestone rubble plinth; sandstone quoins and dressings. Slate roof with original brick end chimneys of 2 stages, with central band of diagonally-set bricks. Sandstone coped gable parapets with curved kneelers, with decorative bosses to the sides and surmounting ball finials on moulded bases. Five-bay facade with fine Tudor-arched entrance to L, with moulded and chamfered jambs and lintel; c1901 boarded door with reused decorative ironwork, presumably from its C17 predecessor. The lintel has decorative carving and, in inscribed and raised lettering the mottos: 'HEB DUW HEB DIM DUW A DIGON: YN Y FLWYDDYN : DUM SPIRO SPERO', together with the date 1683 and the initials M, A and L. Moulded label, returned and continued as a stringcourse along the facade. Sixteen-pane recessed C19 sash windows to ground and first floors, the latter with replaced sandstone sills and lintels (of c1901). Between the first and ground floors is a series of shallow decorative recesses, consisting of paired squares below each window and paired arcades flanking at each end; plain stone stringcourse above. Three c1901 gabled brick dormers to the roof with sandstone kneelers and copings, and ball finials copying the originals; leaded casements and triangular leaded reveals. Two decorative lead hoppers adorn the facade, that to the L with the date 1902, the other with the initials TBH. Part-leaded garden doors to R gable (W) with a 6-pane casement to a narrow arched opening to the R. An original oval closet light to first floor L with further leaded window to R; two small 2-pane sashes to attic.
The rear pile of c1901 is marginally broader. Its ground floor is faced with fine sandstone ashlar and the red-brick first floor has diaper decoration in blue headers and a dentilated stringcourse; rough-dressed limestone plinth. The L section is a projecting gabled bay of two-and-a-half storeys, of ashlar to full height and with coped parapets and ball finial as before. This has a large 5-light mullioned and transomed leaded window to the ground floor with a 4-light window to the first floor with 6-pane casements; 12-pane casement to gable apex. In the bay's R return is a narrow garden entrance with square-headed, chamfered opening and a carved heraldic shield above, dated 1901. To the R of the projecting bay is a 5-light mullioned window with a further, 7-light window beyond; grouped and paired 6-pane casements to first floor, those to L modern out-of-character replacements of uPVC. The attic floor has two flat-roofed (leaded) dormers with tripartite casements.
Adjoining the front pile to the L (NE) is an advanced 2-storey service block of c1901; of 2 bays with limestone rubble plinth, brick ground floor and roughcast first-floor; roof as before with simply-moulded off-centre chimney. Tripartite casement window to ground-floor L and a 12-pane first-floor window to R, with segmental head and sandstone key. The rear has sandstone ashlar facing to the ground floor and brick surrounds to first-floor windows.
The interiors are mostly plain and belong to the Arts and Crafts restoration of c1901. Three-quarter small-field painted panelling to the drawing room; parquet floor to main hall. A Jacobean-style newel staircase leads off from the latter with carved, square balusters, plain square newels and panelled sides and soffit; balustraded gallery to upper stair hall. Decorative Arts and Crafts window catches to some windows.
Listed for the special interest of its fine late C17 brick facade.
Other nearby listed buildings