This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 53.2843 / 53°17'3"N
Longitude: -3.5923 / 3°35'32"W
OS Eastings: 293940
OS Northings: 377555
OS Grid: SH939775
Mapcode National: GBR 3ZCG.2C
Mapcode Global: WH657.SQK1
Plus Code: 9C5R7CM5+P3
Entry Name: King's Lodge, also known as Abergele Lodge
Listing Date: 27 October 1950
Last Amended: 5 August 1997
Source ID: 233
Building Class: Domestic
Location: Located at the W end of the town, at the junction of a lane to Tan-y-Gopa and Betws-yn-Rhos.
Built-Up Area: Abergele
Traditional County: Denbighshire
Gwrych Castle was created from 1816 onwards by Lloyd Bamford Hesketh in association with Thomas Rickman who is best known for his writings on Gothic architecture. The boundary wall, with its various lodges and gates probably followed the main building's completion in c1822, although works continued until c1850.
Built of uncoursed limestone rubble, with squared dressings and slate roofs. Twin drum towers in the manner of the Edwardian castles of North Wales, rising to a deep crenellated parapet set forward on corbel brackets suggesting machicolations. Between the towers, the outer gate has a 4-centred chamfered arch, and above, the family arms on a shield. Behind the towers, a small open court in a barbican, leading to the inner gate set in a tall rear wall with a similar carriage arch, and to each sides lower walls. Pointed arched doors give access to the lodges on each side, each of which has an upper floor Perpendicular style cast iron windows facing W towards the park, on the outer side of each tower. From the rear walls lead at right angles both sides to miniature corner towers, which are then connected directly to the enclosing park wall, q.v.
Included as a conspicous landmark, and Graded II* as the main entrance to the park; an exemplar of the fashion for castellated structures of the time, and with important group value with the castle and other structures on the Gwrych Estate.
Other nearby listed buildings