History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Pentre-mawr

A Grade II Listed Building in Abergele, Conwy

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.2903 / 53°17'25"N

Longitude: -3.5815 / 3°34'53"W

OS Eastings: 294678

OS Northings: 378204

OS Grid: SH946782

Mapcode National: GBR 3ZFD.F7

Mapcode Global: WH657.YKQF

Plus Code: 9C5R7CR9+4C

Entry Name: Pentre-mawr

Listing Date: 27 October 1950

Last Amended: 5 August 1997

Grade: II

Source: Cadw

Source ID: 236

Building Class: Domestic

Location: Located towards the N end of Dundonald Avenue, overlooking the former grounds, now the town park.

County: Conwy

Town: Abergele

Community: Abergele

Community: Abergele

Built-Up Area: Abergele

Traditional County: Denbighshire

Find accommodation in
Abergele

History

Constructed on the site of the C17 manor house, first mentioned in 1697. The C18 house, the seat of the Jones-Bateman family, was extended c1830, but burned out in 1850. The present building was erected three years later, in 1853. It is now converted into 24 flats.

Exterior

Stone, partly rendered and painted, with some limestone dressings and slate roofs. The principal (W) front is of 5 bays, symmetrical, with a central storeyed porch with high angle buttresses; double panelled doors with a chamfered stone head and hood moulding, and a canted oriel window to the upper chamber with Tudor arched lights and crenellated parapet above a string course. To either side, 2 window bays, all with timber cross windows to each floor and stone labels. The centre of each side is gabled, with a high lancet window. Symmetrical brick stacks of star plan. Over the door is a mantled and crested coat of arms, with the inscription SPES NON FRACTA. The S end has an ashlar square bay with 3-light mullioned and transomed windows. A narrower 2-storey link at the rear connects with the 2-storey contemporary rear parallel range, built in unrendered stone rubble, which has an oriel window on the S end. Four pairs of star-plan brick stacks, the flues linked by zig-zag bricks. At the front the rear range extends one bay and is rendered.

Interior

Converted to flats and much altered.

Reasons for Listing

Included as a handsome mansion house in the Gothick style.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.