This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 53.2872 / 53°17'13"N
Longitude: -3.5832 / 3°34'59"W
OS Eastings: 294554
OS Northings: 377858
OS Grid: SH945778
Mapcode National: GBR 3ZFF.1C
Mapcode Global: WH657.XMWV
Plus Code: 9C5R7CP8+VP
Entry Name: Eglwys Crist Addoldy'r Annibynnwyr
Listing Date: 5 August 1997
Last Amended: 5 August 1997
Source ID: 18684
Building Class: Religious, Ritual and Funerary
Location: The chapel is set on the corner of Dundonald Avenue and Pleasant Place, on the N side of the town centre.
Built-Up Area: Abergele
Traditional County: Denbighshire
Built in 1860-1861 by T Roger Smith, architect of London for the Congregational community at Abergele.
Built of polygonal local limestone with ashlar dressings, with a distinctive timber framed clerestory and a steep slated roof. Nave with aisles both sides, and a steeple at the SE corner. Vestry at right angles at the W end, opening into Pleasant Place.
Four bays of paired lancet windows, with moulded cast iron paned glazing. The clerestory has paired windows with a lozenge at the centre of the iron glazing, now blank. Between each pair, a weatherboard infilled trefoil panel. The tower rises above the main door, set in a moulded frame. Diagonal buttresses and a tall upper stage with 2 lancets on each face, and a short 3-light bell stage. A ballflower enriched stone cornice forms the base of the broach spire. The E gable end has 3 lancets, and above, 3 quatrefoils in a large gable light, repeated above the vestry roof at the W end.
Impressive timber arcade of 4 bays, with braces to the arcade plates, supporting the open rafter roofs. Raised pulpit, behind which is a painted arch over the organ, with a painted inscription around. Curved set fawr.
Included as an architecturally unusual building, designed to resemble a conventional anglican church, and the earliest chapel in the town remaining in its original condition. Of group value with The Castle PH at the northern approach to the town.
Other nearby listed buildings