History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Telephone Call-box adjoining St George's House

A Grade II Listed Building in Abergele, Conwy

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.2688 / 53°16'7"N

Longitude: -3.5399 / 3°32'23"W

OS Eastings: 297400

OS Northings: 375755

OS Grid: SH974757

Mapcode National: GBR 3ZQM.FX

Mapcode Global: WH65G.L3KC

Plus Code: 9C5R7F96+G3

Entry Name: Telephone Call-box adjoining St George's House

Listing Date: 18 December 1989

Last Amended: 5 August 1997

Grade: II

Source: Cadw

Source ID: 272

Building Class: Communications

Location: Prominently sited on the south pavement of the main street and facing N to St George's Churchyard and Primrose Hill.

County: Conwy

Town: Abergele

Community: Abergele

Community: Abergele

Locality: St George

Traditional County: Denbighshire

Find accommodation in
Kinmel

History

G VI R, K6-type red painted square kiosk of cast-iron construction to the standard based on a design by Giles Gilbert Scott, architect of London. The design was introduced by the GPO in 1936; this example was probably installed after Second World War close to the pillar box and below one of the two cast iron gas lamp standards supplied by gas from the Primrose Hill gas works, designed by Nesfield and newly set up in 1875.

Exterior

Domed roof with 4 lunettes containing embossed George VI crowns over red lettered opals and ventilation slits. Raised surrounds to sides and door with marginal bars to horizontal glazing. Blank rear, moulded plinth; modernised telephone equipment. No casting plate.

Reasons for Listing

Included for its prominent siting in this historic village and for group value with neighbouring listed buildings.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

  • II Pillar Box adjacent to St George's House
    The pillar box is sited close to the Telephone kiosk, on the S pavement of the main street and facing N to St George's churchyard and Primrose Hill.
  • II Kinmel Arms
    Located on the N side of the extension of the main village street towards the NW gates of Kinmel Park.
  • II 7 Main Street
    Located on the S side of the main street. No 7 is at the upper, E end, terminating the curve of the terrace into the minor lane to the S.
  • II 6A Main Street
    Located on the S side of the main street. No 6A is the second from the E end, on the curved section leading to the minor lane to the S.
  • II Church of St George
    The church is in the W angle of the road running S to the main village street, and is set on steeply sloping ground.
  • II 6 Main Street
    Located on the S side of the main street.
  • II Village Hall
    The building stands at the NW entrance of Kinmel Park, on the extension of the main street of the village.
  • II 5 Main Street
    Located on the S side of the main street. No 5 is the second from the W end.

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.