History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Pentre Farmhouse

A Grade II* Listed Building in Gronant, Flintshire

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.3349 / 53°20'5"N

Longitude: -3.36 / 3°21'35"W

OS Eastings: 309535

OS Northings: 382863

OS Grid: SJ095828

Mapcode National: GBR 4YZW.C7

Mapcode Global: WH769.CF7Q

Entry Name: Pentre Farmhouse

Listing Date: 6 November 1962

Last Amended: 30 April 2001

Grade: II*

Source: Cadw

Source ID: 288

Building Class: Domestic

Location: Approximately 0.2km S of the Gronant village, reached by farm road from the centre of the village.

County: Flintshire

Town: Prestatyn

Community: Llanasa

Community: Llanasa

Locality: Gronant

Built-Up Area: Gronant

Traditional County: Flintshire

Find accommodation in
Talacre

History

Built in 1574 (date on building), but the house appears to be of 2 phases. Opposed doorways suggest an original cross passage, but this was obscured by the insertion of back-to-back fireplaces in hall and parlour to create a lobby entry plan. The ovolo-moulded parlour fireplace and the ovolo mouldings to the lower-storey windows (that contrast with the cavetto moulding of the doorway) both suggest substantial remodelling of the house in the C17. A detached secondary dwelling was built behind the house later in the C17. In the C19 the house was divided into 2 dwellings as a second doorway was inserted in place of an original hall window. A gabled projection was added to the rear in the final quarter of the C19 and is first shown on the 1899 Ordnance Survey. A lean-to dairy was rebuilt in the early 1970s, and some inserted windows were replaced in the 1990s.

Exterior

A 2-storey 4-window house of rubble stone with bigger quoins, slate roof and brick stacks at the L end and R of centre. The doorway R of centre has a Tudor head and cavetto moulding, and a hood mould over a shield inscribed 'AD 1574'. The door is boarded, a late C19 replacement. The windows mainly retain original ovolo mullions in the lower storey and have plain chamfers above. They also have hood moulds in the lower storey and upper-storey gablets. On the R side of the doorway is a 2-light window lighting the parlour. On the L side is a similar window to the hall but without hood mould, and then a 2-light window with plain chamfer, the mullion brought from the secondary dwelling behind the main house, and replacing a doorway inserted C19 in the position of an original hall window, the hood mould of which has survived. A 2-light window is further L lighting the service room. In the upper storey are a 3-light window under a gablet over the parlour, 2-light window over the doorway, a 3-light window under a gablet over the L-hand hall window, and a bricked-up 2-light window over the service room. A raked buttress is at the L end. The R gable end of the house is pebble dashed and has a 3-light window with hood mould in the upper storey.

The rear retains some mullioned windows with plain chamfers and hood moulds. It has an added gabled porch L of centre, to the L of which is a 2-light mullioned parlour window and above it a blocked 3-light mullioned window under a gablet. To the R of the porch is a 2-light mullioned window with hood, lighting the hall, and an inserted or enlarged window above. Further R is a late C19 single-storey gabled brick projection, the roof slope of which obscures the stone surround of a blocked former window over the hall. To the R of the projection is a window lower R replacing a earlier doorway, and a window above inserted in the stone surround of a former 2-light mullioned window. The L gable end of the house has a single-storey projection with a flat roof (replacing a lean-to former dairy), and above it an inserted 2-light window.

Interior

The house is 3 units with a lobby entry. The hall has a single cross beam with stepped stops and plain joists. The fireplace has a timber lintel, brought from another site, and a reduced brick oven. Part of the timber-framed screen between hall and service room has survived, but with a doorway cut in and the original doorway infilled. The service room has a single cross beam with stepped stop. In the parlour is a broad-chamfered spine beam with plain joists and an ovolo-moulded stone fireplace with lintel.

Reasons for Listing

Listed grade II* as an especially well-preserved sub-medieval farmhouse retaining early plan form and good early detail.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.