History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Plas-yn-Llan

A Grade II Listed Building in Cilcain, Flintshire

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.1771 / 53°10'37"N

Longitude: -3.2346 / 3°14'4"W

OS Eastings: 317578

OS Northings: 365151

OS Grid: SJ175651

Mapcode National: GBR 6W.3SWK

Mapcode Global: WH774.8DYR

Plus Code: 9C5R5QG8+R4

Entry Name: Plas-yn-Llan

Listing Date: 6 November 1962

Last Amended: 16 October 1995

Grade: II

Source: Cadw

Source ID: 296

Building Class: Domestic

Location: Situated immediately to the W of St Mary's Church.

County: Flintshire

Community: Cilcain

Community: Cilcain

Traditional County: Flintshire

Find accommodation in
Llanferres

History

Mentioned as a notable house by Edward Lhwyd in 1707 when the heir was said to be Nathanial Edwards a mercer. Complex house of various building phases, the earliest identifiable being of a sub-medieval plan form with an external lateral stack. This phase is similar in its form and carpentry details to several hall houses in the area, however at present the precise evolution of the early history of the building is unclear. In the mid C17 a two storey, single cell extension was added to the south. There is evidence of a c1700 internal remodelling and to the west separated by a covered passageway are later alterations and extensions.

Exterior

2 storey, uncoursed rubble construction now whitewashed with partial stone plinth. Renewed brick chimneys, slate roof. Roughly L-shaped in plan. Front (E) elevation has re-sited mid C17 stone Tudor arched door with label headmould and moulded chamfered and stopped detailing to jambs. 2 early C19 12-pane sash windows to ground floor with similar dormer window to first floor. Renewed red brick corner chimney which heats a room on the first floor. To left: early C19 12-pane sash window to ground floor, to first floor a blocked mid C17 2-light stone mullioned window with label stopped hoodmould. Renewed red brick corner chimney which heats ground floor room. Later extension to left contains at first floor level 12-pane window. Rear elevation: large single storey extension houses lateral stack, renewed red brick chimney rises from gable. Small smoke window to the right. Single early C19 dormer 12-pane sash window. Extension to the right contains modern 12 pane window in a former door position.

Interior

Small parlour to left of main entrance contains much good quality woodwork, window shutters, cornice, dado and panelling probably of an early C19 date. Main housebody contains a dog-leg staircase with wooden turned balusters c1700, although this is not thought to be the original stair position. Large stone stack with renewed cambered bressummer. 2 exposed ceiling beams both chamfered and stopped. On 1st floor several wooden plank doors with L-shaped hinges. Exposed timber framing with tie-beam and partially visible king and queen struts. A partial examination of the roof space revealed that this truss also had angle struts rising from the collar.

Reasons for Listing

Listed as an interesting and important example of a lower gentry house which retains many features from its complex building history including evidence of a sub-medieval plan form.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.