History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

The Old Vicarage

A Grade II Listed Building in Cilcain, Flintshire

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.1761 / 53°10'33"N

Longitude: -3.2348 / 3°14'5"W

OS Eastings: 317563

OS Northings: 365040

OS Grid: SJ175650

Mapcode National: GBR 6W.3SVM

Mapcode Global: WH774.8FVJ

Plus Code: 9C5R5QG8+C3

Entry Name: The Old Vicarage

Listing Date: 12 February 1998

Last Amended: 12 February 1998

Grade: II

Source: Cadw

Source ID: 19339

Building Class: Domestic

Location: Approximately 150m SSW of Cilcain Church.

County: Flintshire

Town: Mold

Community: Cilcain

Community: Cilcain

Traditional County: Flintshire

Find accommodation in
Llanferres

History

The vicarage is known to have been rebuilt in 1808, and enlarged in about 1836, with money from Queen Anne's Bounty. Other alterations (eg porch) probably early C20.

Exterior

House of 2 storeys and 3 windows, roughcast render, shaped brick chimneys. Hipped slate roof, wings to each end, slightly recessed. First floor has three 12-pane hornless sash windows. Ground floor has central doorway with reeded architrave and rectangular overlight; panelled door, partially glazed. Doorway set under wooden gabled porch with slate roof and ridge tiles. To each side of doorway, tripartite small-pane sash window. Right wing has broad doorway, and R return, 12-pane sash to upper floor, 20-pane sash to ground floor. Left return has mainly modern glazing. To rear, lower kitchen block, and extension at skew angle parallel to lane, both with brick chimneys; modern glazing and patio doors. Rear elevation of house has doorway in angle with kitchen block, and to its R, stair window, round-headed with intersecting tracery in upper sash. To R of this, small window at eaves, 12-pane sash to ground floor, and further small window at ground floor level.

Interior

Interior retains many C19 six-panelled doors on both floors, and contemporary skirtings. Entrance hall retains cornice and ceiling rose. To R, study with early C19 fireplace, recessed bookshelves with Gothic fretwork, iron safe with inscription "Kilken Register Chest 1813"; panelling and shutters to windows. Dining room to L has panels and shutters to window. To rear, staircase hall has early-to-mid C19 stair with stick balusters and hardwood rail which continue to landing. Garage (former kitchen) with fireplace. Scullery with fireplace and bread oven with iron door and domed brick oven interior. Stairs down to cellar with stop-chamfered beams. Upstairs, bedrooms retain 6-panelled doors.

Reasons for Listing

A well-preserved early C19 former vicarage on an important site near the village centre, and the church which it served.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.