This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 53.3058 / 53°18'20"N
Longitude: -3.3685 / 3°22'6"W
OS Eastings: 308906
OS Northings: 379634
OS Grid: SJ089796
Mapcode National: GBR 4ZX6.JP
Mapcode Global: WH76H.756J
Plus Code: 9C5R8J4J+8J
Entry Name: Church of St Michael & All Angels
Listing Date: 6 November 1962
Last Amended: 18 July 2001
Source ID: 316
Building Class: Religious, Ritual and Funerary
Location: On the W side of the village and on the E side of a minor road S of London Road (A5151), the main road through the village.
Community: Trelawnyd and Gwaenysgor (Trelawnyd a Gwaenysgor)
Community: Trelawnyd and Gwaenysgor
Traditional County: Flintshire
A C14 cross and sepulchral slab are the earliest surviving features associated with the medieval church, which is first referred to in 1291. The church was substantially remodelled in Georgian style 1724 (date on building), when the bellcote was added, although the medieval roof was retained. The church was again remodelled in 1894-7 by Douglas & Fordham, architects of Chester, who introduced Perpendicular tracery to the Georgian windows. In 1917 the NW vestry was added by the firm of Douglas, Minshall & Muspratt, architects of Chester.
A simple Gothic style church comprising nave and chancel under a single roof and S porch, of rubble stone and slate roof behind coped gables. A W bellcote has stepped saddleback coping (added 1894-7) and a single bell in a segmental opening, the E face of which is engraved 'EP'. The gabled porch is set back from the W end of the nave, and has a round-headed doorway with keystone and modern iron gate. Inside is a round-headed doorway with original oak door. On the E side of the porch is a lean-to boiler house with boarded door. The nave and chancel each has a single 2-light round-headed C18 window with Perpendicular tracery. A low raked buttress is at the E end of the S wall. The chancel has a 3-light Perpendicular E window under a Georgian round head, above which is a renewed tablet with the names of Barnard, Robert, Edward and Thomas Parry, and the date 1724. The kneeler on the NE side of the chancel is also inscribed 'Tho P'.
The N side has two 2-light windows similar to the S. Set back from the W end is an added gabled vestry with external stack to the gable end. In its E wall is a boarded door L and small window to its R, each under depressed arches. Its W wall has a 2-light mullioned window with round-headed lights.
The nave and chancel are undivided and have a late medieval 7-bay arched-brace roof on moulded wooden corbels and with raking struts. The N doorway, leading into the vestry, is round-headed and has a boarded door with strap hinges.
A low, plain octagonal font has a short stem and square base. It was probably installed during the restoration of 1894-7. Other items dating from the restoration are the plain pews and pulpit, the communion rail with iron balusters, and the decorative and encaustic tiles in the sanctuary. Wall monuments in the nave N wall include a freestone classical tablet commemorating Martha Davies (d.1752), with broken segmental pediment and achievement, and putto to the apron. A simple freestone tablet with rounded top commemorates Catherine Jones (d.1701), and a polished marble tablet in a moulded wooden frame commemorates Mary Norman (d.1781).
Four windows have good stained glass. The crucifixion in the E window is by Alfred Hemming and dated 1894. In the nave N wall is a window depicting the 3 women encountering the empty tomb of Christ, by Jones & Willis of 1930. The chancel N window shows the Nativity, while the S window shows Christ as the Good Shepherd, both made in 1969 by Shrigley & Hunt of Lancaster.
Listed grade II* as a small village church retaining significant medieval fabric (including a fine roof), and with a clear history of successive remodelling in C18 and C19 styles.
Other nearby listed buildings