This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 53.1392 / 53°8'20"N
Longitude: -3.3577 / 3°21'27"W
OS Eastings: 309274
OS Northings: 361083
OS Grid: SJ092610
Mapcode National: GBR 6Q.66VM
Mapcode Global: WH778.DCB9
Entry Name: Bachymbyd Fawr
Listing Date: 28 April 1952
Last Amended: 18 August 1999
Source ID: 719
Building Class: Domestic
Location: Located approximately 200m SW of the main road on the western slopes of the Vale of Clwyd; accessed via a farm lane.
Traditional County: Denbighshire
The Salesbury family of Bachymbyd were established on this site towards the end of the C15 as a junior branch of the Salusburys of Lleweni. During the C16 and C17 the family rose to become one of the leading gentry families in North Wales and had acquired a second seat, Rug, near Corwen, already in the early C16. Bachymbyd provided sheriffs for Denbighshire in 1546, 1597 and 1661 (as well as frequent representations for Merionethshire). Perhaps the most distinguished member of the family was Colonel William Salesbury, known as 'Hen Hosanau Gleision' (Old Blue Stockings); his stout courage and unswerving loyalty as royalist defender of Denbigh Castle during the Civil Wars earned him great respect and notoriety.
The present house represents a complete rebuilding of the ancient seat by his son Charles Salusbury; it is dated 1666. Also a notable royalist, Charles was one of the few North Walian commanders to be nominated as Knight of the Royal Oak at the Restoration. A stylish two-and-a-half storey brick house, it originally consisted of a 7-bay main block with advanced flanking wings of 2 bays each. Only the right wing now stands, and it has been suggested that its counterpart, though clearly intended, may never have been built. However, the depiction of the completed 11-bay Bachymbyd on the William Williams map of Flint and Denbigh (1723) provides a strong argument for it having indeed been built, but subsequently demolished. The original parapetted roof-line was replaced in the early C20 with a deep-eaved arrangement as part of an Arts and Crafts-style restoration which also saw the provision of a new porch and the consequent re-setting of the relief-carved heraldry and date inscription above the entrance. The truncated L gable end (where the missing wing should be) was remodelled in brick and sandstone c1960 by K W Favell.
Elegant gentry house, consisting of a 7-bay main section and an advanced 2-bay wing to the R (its balancing L wing either lost or never excecuted); of two storeys plus dormer storey to the attic. Constructed of brown brick on a moulded stone plinth with buff-coloured sandstone dressings: ovolo-moulded leaded cross windows to the principal floors, dressed quoins to the corners, moulded eaves cornice and a string-course. Slated roof with oversailing eaves and 5 large hipped-roofed dormers (4 to the main section and one to the wing). 3 large sandstone chimneys, one lateral, the others with grouped stacks, their upper sections renewed. The main section is symmetrical. The brickwork above the porch has been disturbed and the arrangement of the central bay is C20; boarded entrance with hipped wooden porch on a brick base. Above this is a date stone of 1666, together with accompanying strapwork decoration and heraldic carving displaying the Salesbury arms.
The rear has a large gabled stair projection and assymetrical window arrangement with mostly 2, 3 and 4-light mullioned and transomed windows. The SE return of the stair projection has a Tudor-arched cellar entrance. Extruded in the angle between the main block and the truncated end of the surviving cross-wing, is a one-and-a-half-storey lean-to addition with a further, single-storey modern lean-to adjoining; the former is rendered and has 2 modern windows, whilst the latter is of unrendered rubble. A further single-storey modern, pitched-roofed, addition adjoins to the NW.
The NW gable end is a modern rebuilding, and terminates the main block where it would have adjoined the former (or projected) left wing. This is of brick with sandstone dressings, copying the style of the original work. Cross-windows to the upper floors and a large projecting bay to the ground floor, with 8-light mullioned and transomed window.
Late C19 oak linenfold panelling to the entrance hall, apparently brought in earlier this century. This has 3 entrances leading off it, each with highly-carved doorcases made up from imported carvings. Of these, that to the present hall (R) has an incorporated oak shield with the arms of the Salesbury family carved in relief, together with the date 1666. Leading off to the rear of the entrance hall is the staircase. This has an original heavily-moulded oak opening with a similar, smaller doorcase to the L, giving access to the cellar; the latter retains its original 2-panel door. Broad dog-leg stair rising full-height to the attic floor. Whilst the basic structure is primary, the balusters and handrail are simplified replacements. Leading off to the L of the entrance hall is the (present) drawing room. This has three-quarter height oak panelling which, whilst apparently re-set, and to some degree supplemented with later panelling, is likely to be original to the house; small-filed type, with 2 tiers of arcade carving to the frieze. C20 Tudor style lateral stone fireplace; parquet floor.
Plain C20 panelling to the room to the R of the entrance hall. Leading off from this is a small room retaining primary (in situ) small-field panelling. In a mezzanine service area leading off to the R from the staircase are two further original 2-panel moulded and fielded doors, together with a contemporary panelled cupboard door.
Listed Grade II* for its special interest as a very fine Restoration house, seat of the important Salesbury family, retaining exceptionally good external character and some interesting interior detail.
Other nearby listed buildings