This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 53.1382 / 53°8'17"N
Longitude: -3.3388 / 3°20'19"W
OS Eastings: 310535
OS Northings: 360952
OS Grid: SJ105609
Mapcode National: GBR 6Q.6CGX
Mapcode Global: WH778.PD91
Entry Name: The Grange
Listing Date: 18 August 1999
Last Amended: 18 August 1999
Source ID: 22163
Building Class: Domestic
Location: Located at the north-western boundary of the village of Rhewl, on the eastern side of the river Clywedog; set in its own grounds at the end of a tree-lined drive running SW from a lane leading NW from
Traditional County: Denbighshire
Late Stuart house with Tudor-style front wing added in the second-quarter C19. Early C20 Arts and Crafts alterations and additions, including a faux timber-framed billiard room extension and the incorporation, within the main house, of stained glass, doors and other elements from a ship, one section of which is dated 1892. The Grange was the home of Frederick Joseph Herzog, Esq., who served as High Sheriff of Denbighshire in 1942.
Medium-sized country house of irregular U-plan. The two-and-a-half storey primary section, to the rear, is of rendered rubble; the C19 front range is faced with fine red/brown sandstone ashlar. Slate roofs with plain chimneys; those to the front are projecting end chimneys, partly-reduced and with modern brick capping. The main elevation is of 2 storeys and 3 bays and is symmetrical. It has a chamfered plinth and a moulded stringcourse between the floors. The central bay is advanced and gabled and acts as a storeyed porch with wide Tudor-arched, chamfered opening to the front. The gable is coped and kneelered and the corners of the bay are chamfered. Modern part-glazed door to Tudor-arched inner entrance, with simple flanking arched sashes. Paired Tudor-arched windows to the first floor and similar 3-light windows to the ground floor, the latter with long lights extending down to low plinth level. All retain their original unhorned 8-pane sashes with simple Y-tracery heads.
The Tudorbethan front range is continued in an L-plan to the R (N) as a service wing, the two arms of the C19 addition thereby enclosing the primary house to the N and E. This N wing has tripartite windows with 4-pane sash sections flanked by 2-pane sashes, that to the first floor with cambered head; further 2 and 4-light camber-headed sashes to the R and to the upper floors of the rear gable end. This range is continued westwards as a single-storey wash-house. It has a lateral brick chimney, cambered sashes and boarded entrances.
The primary section of the house is L-shaped and is visible to the rear (W) and to the S. The latter has C20 French windows with an early C19 16-pane unhorned sash to the R. Above this is a 30-pane horned sash and surmounting this, on the attic floor, is a small 12-pane window contained within a gabled dormer. L of the French windows are C20 2-and 6-pane lights. The rear has a central gabled section recessed between the N wing and the hipped S wing. It has an 8-panel part-glazed door to the L and a large 8-pane stair light to the R, the latter with a Y-tracery head. The S gable end has a 30-pane sash to the first floor. Adjoining the ground floor is a short link block leading to a rectangular billiard room addition. These are of roughcast brick construction with applied faux timber-framing. The billiard room is a gabled rectangular block with slate roof and simple end chimneys, and has lower hipped-roofed projections at both ends. Four-bay sides with sashes (3 panes above one) and a large skylight to the roof. The link block has double doors to the N, part-glazed with bulls-eyes, and flanking leaded sections.
Entrance hall with moulded Tudor-arched opening to rear hall and entrances to dining and drawing rooms off to R and L; moulded architraves and 4-panel doors. The principal ground floor rooms have vertical oak dado panelling with alternately ovolo-moulded and chamfered stiles. Early C20 'Jacobean' applied ceiling decoration to main rooms, with conjoined octagons and strapwork etc. The rear hall has early C20 oak ceiling beams and 3 fine 9-panel mahogany doors leading off. Simple Arts and Crafts fireplace of polished steel and brass; parquet flooring. Leading off from this to the rear is a late C17 oak dogleg stair with turned balusters, moulded rail and square newels; original treads and risers with early C20 panelled sides. Adjoining this to the L, under the return flight of the stair, is a niche with a late C19 panelled mahogany double seat, a re-used ship's fitting. Early C20 WC with all original fittings and tiling. The billiard room has re-used dado panelling, as before, and a niche, stepped-up at one end, with segmental entrance arch. Large first-floor skylight with good 3-part 1890s stained glass window, also re-used; these show scenes from Shakespeare's 'As You Like It.'
Listed for its special interest as a second-quarter C19 Tudor-style house retaining good original character and with earlier, late Stuart core.
Other nearby listed buildings