This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 53.1143 / 53°6'51"N
Longitude: -3.3104 / 3°18'37"W
OS Eastings: 312385
OS Northings: 358255
OS Grid: SJ123582
Mapcode National: GBR 6S.7SF5
Mapcode Global: WH779.3ZWF
Entry Name: National Westminster Bank
Listing Date: 24 October 1950
Last Amended: 12 July 2006
Source ID: 913
Building Class: Commercial
Location: A free-standing building towards the S end of St Peter's Square. In a prominent location.
Community: Ruthin (Rhuthun)
Built-Up Area: Ruthin
Traditional County: Denbighshire
Medieval timber-framed court-house located in the centre of Ruthin. Recent dendrochronological dating has given a felling date of 1421, reflecting an upsurge in development following the uprising of Owain Glyndwr. The building probably had a central 2-bay hall, open to the roof, flanked by storeyed bays. There were prison cells below ground and a gibbet to the W end. The building was converted to the National Provincial Bank in 1925-6, probably by F. H. Shayler. Before this, the building was divided into a number of shops, with corrugated lean-tos against the N side and gabled dormers; these shops included an ironmonger's towards the centre and a bank to the R end.
Four-bay range, timber-framed on a stone plinth; slate roof with rebuilt stone ridge stack. The timber-framing consists of 2 tiers of large panels with plaster infill divided by a mid-rail, each bay with prominent curved braces to upper panels. External detail is probably all of 1925-6: The N and S sides have opposing doorways to E bay; wooden casement windows with ovolo-moulded mullions and quarry glazing, are probably contemporary. The N side, facing into St Peter's Square, has doorway with segmental head to L, containing double boarded doors in an iron frame; 2-light casement immediately to its L, and another aligned above to upper tier. Similar 3-light windows to each tier of R-hand bay. The 2 central bays each have a tall 3-light mullioned and transomed window spanning the mid-rail. An attached sign to R reads 'The Old Courthouse AD1401'. The S side is a mirror-image of the N side, except that the doorway to R-hand bay has a single boarded and studded door, and the window to the upper tier is 3-light. East gable end has a 3-light casement to each storey; gable has slightly cambered tie-beam supported by 2 curved braces, and a collar, also on curved braces; finial to apex. West gable end has 2-light casement to each storey, with an additional post to each side.
Interior open to roof; tie-beam trusses with collars; curved braces supporting the tie-beams and curved struts above. End trusses are cusped to the apex; one row of purlins with cusped windbraces beneath. Intermediate collars between trusses, cusped to centre of soffitt. The interior fittings of the 1925-6 bank conversion are consistent and sympathetic to the character of the building: the walls are panelled up to the mid-rail; counter to E end; segmental arched doorway to W leading to offices; straight central staircase leading to upper storey at W end. The former prison cells below ground are said to be extant but blocked off.
Listed grade II* for its exceptional architectural and historic interest as a medieval civic building of significantly early date, retaining its structural integrity.
Other nearby listed buildings