This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.9686 / 52°58'6"N
Longitude: -3.1701 / 3°10'12"W
OS Eastings: 321511
OS Northings: 341887
OS Grid: SJ215418
Mapcode National: GBR 6Y.K4F7
Mapcode Global: WH784.8NN2
Entry Name: Former Rehoboth Chapel
Listing Date: 22 December 1989
Last Amended: 22 December 1989
Source ID: 1184
Building Class: Religious, Ritual and Funerary
Location: Above the road at the SW corner of Victoria Square. Hillside rises steeply to rear.
Built-Up Area: Llangollen
Traditional County: Denbighshire
Built in 1835/6, repaired in 1843, enlarged in 1874 and a new roof built in 1890 at a cost of £660.
Popular classcial composition with 2-storey, 3 bay pedimented front; snecked masonry with quoins, eaves band and plinth; hipped over outer bays; marginal glazing bars to fixed windows. Pediment is carried on advanced pilasters and has iron finial and kneelers. Giant arch to centre containing date plaque over 3-light window with quatrefoil oculi, bracket cill band and Corinthian derived pilasters. Windows in outer bays contained within full height recesses; round arch headed to 1st floor, square headed below with bracket cills to both floors. Twin round arched entries to centre with arch rings, keystones and fanlights over 4 panel doors. Facade returns for one bay around side elevations; then continues in simpler style and pebledashed for a further 5-bays. Modern extensions to right with reused small pane sash window; other properties originally continued beyond.
Rubble walled forecourt with tall pyramidal capped gate piers and iron gates and railings.
The interior has segmental arched boarded ceiling with mock hammerbeams and central tie and queen struts. Ornamented ventilation band. Panelled gallery front to raked gallery carried on cast iron pillars with moulded capitals. Classical arch behind platform with carved spandrels and bracket cornice. Ceiling rose to vestibule.
Used as a furniture depository at time of inspection (December 1988).
Group value with the Old Town Hall.
Other nearby listed buildings