This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 53.0515 / 53°3'5"N
Longitude: -3.3309 / 3°19'51"W
OS Eastings: 310885
OS Northings: 351297
OS Grid: SJ108512
Mapcode National: GBR 6R.CTL3
Mapcode Global: WH77N.TK1J
Entry Name: Garth-y-neuadd Farmhouse
Listing Date: 23 July 1991
Last Amended: 21 March 2001
Source ID: 1344
Building Class: Domestic
Location: ½ km S of Nantclwyd Hall and 1km N of Llanelidan. Set below the by-road that runs south from the A494 to Llanelidan, on sloping site with rubble-walled forecourt.
Traditional County: Denbighshire
Probably C16 origins as a half-timbered, cruck-framed hall house. Remodelled and storeyed in C17; the south gable shows heightening. There is a 1659 datestone in the porch. Later alterations include some C19 refronting of the left hand part of the front range in brick and re-windowing in a style characteristic of the Nantclwyd estate.
The presence of two substantial ranges corner to corner is reminiscent of Plas Derwen nearby, and could, perhaps, indicate the unit system of house and secondary dwelling.
On the Tithe Survey (1839) the name is given as Garth Newydd.
An L-plan house in local limestone with a four-bay front range, including a fine two-storey timber framed porch. The masonry is axe-dressed apart from the front elevation to left of the porch, which has been refronted in red brick (retaining stone quoins). Slate roofs and very tall axe-dressed chimney stacks with neck bands. There are end-chimneys to north and south and an axial chimney opposite the porch.
The windows to the front elevation are probably contemporary with its partial re-fronting in brickwork. These have C19 diamond-paned casements (mostly two-light) and those in the stonework part have red brick jambs. The sills and lintels are in limestone. The first-floor windows in the brickwork part to the left rise through the eaves with gabled dormer hoods. The porch has a similar upper window with lead cames. At rear the windows are of casement type, in brickwork-dressed openings.
The porch is in timber framing with each storey two panels high, plus diagonal square framing in the gable above. The upper storey overhangs the lower at the front and sides, with the overhang carried on posts with arch bracing. Within the walls of the lower storey are side seats and narrow windows each side of the door. All the timbers of the porch seem to have similar stepped tongue stops to the chamfers. Carved gable finial.
The two-storey cross range extending east is of two periods, with a masonry break; it includes (north elevation) a two-light window with brick cambered head and a boarded door, and two similar upper windows against eaves. The front part retains part of a broad corner-post below the wall-plate, indicating timber-framed origins, only a small area of the timber frame is visible. The part to the rear has a massive chimney breast against its gable end.
The entrance is now into a lobby but the original plan-form was of the chimney-backing-onto-entry type. The cruck-framed hall lies to left of the entrance with a chimney inserted within one of the two full cruck trusses; Victorian range to fireplace. Within the cruck truss at the other end of the hall is a post and panel screen carrying a similar screen to 1st floor; hall ceiling restored. Later spurs were added to the crucks during re-roofing in the C17 remodelling. C19 stairs rise against front wall. Studded partitions (some on stone plinths), boarded doors and stop-chamfered beams throughout. Stepped down at right hand end; further cruck truss but with one blade cut below floor level. The cross range to left has a massively chamfered cross beam. (Interior inspected in 1991).
A fine farmhouse based on a cruck hall, enlarged in a manner indicative of the unit system; retaining a good timber-framed two-storey porch and having undergone interesting remodelling in the late C19 or early C20 by the Nantclwyd Estate.
Other nearby listed buildings