This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 53.0668 / 53°4'0"N
Longitude: -2.9398 / 2°56'23"W
OS Eastings: 337121
OS Northings: 352590
OS Grid: SJ371525
Mapcode National: GBR 78.BSGD
Mapcode Global: WH88Z.T58Q
Plus Code: 9C5V3386+P3
Entry Name: Borras Hall
Listing Date: 7 June 1963
Last Amended: 17 July 1996
Source ID: 1563
Building Class: Domestic
Location: Situated 0.5km N off the A534 on the by-road which runs N to Gresford.
Traditional County: Denbighshire
Early C17 former manor house, with alterations and additions now farmhouse. There is known to have been a house on this site in the C16 which was held by David Llwyd the second son of Madoc ap Llewelyn. Lived in by various prominent local families including the Breretons. Owen Brereton who was Mayor of Holt in 1630 is listed at that date as being in residence. Borras Hall was charged for 9 hearths in the Hearth Tax of 1670.
H-plan house of early C17 date. 2 storeys, part timber-framed, now encased in red brick and partially covered in roughcast, slate roof. Front elevation: 2 storey central section with projecting wings to either side. Roughcast with string course to first floor level. Asymmetrically placed wooden door with moulded wooden canopy supported by brackets. C20 3-light metal-framed window to left in original opening, to right smaller C20 metal-framed window. 2 C20 metal-framed windows on dormers to first floor. Right hand wing has projecting chimney stack and C20 corner canted bay window. Left hand wing has 2 C20 metal-framed windows. Left hand return elevation: 2 storeys, roughcast and partially obscured by creeper. Left hand gable has brick stack, to right stack to front. To ground floor 2 C20 metal-framed windows, C20 projecting porch with pedimented roof. To first floor 2 C20 metal-framed windows and 1 blocked and painted mock 12-pane sash. Right hand return elevation: C20 metal-framed windows throughout. Various later brick additions which housed at one time dairy and cheesemaking facilies. Rear elevation: 2 storey central section of red brick with projecting wings to either side. Central range dominated by 2 large projecting brick stacks. That to left contains the former bread oven and the stack has 3 diagonally set brick chimney pots. That to right heats the former hall. Right hand wing has lean-to extension, pantry, with catslide roof, now covered in roughcast. C20 metal-framed windows. Left hand wing has projecting brick gable line which is flush to the central range with later brick addition to rear.
Ground floor, wide boarded doors throughout. Central hall, contains 3 chamfered beams, large inglenook fireplace with re-used Jacobean panelling detailing. Fine, main staircase, dog-leg, with pierced carved balusters, a heavy rail and gadrooned finials. To either side of the stairs are exposed timber-framed partition walls. Secondary staircase hall contains large stack with 2 deep fireplaces, one of which was used as bread oven. Cellar contains the remains of a stone mullioned window and there is at the bottom of the stone steps a stone corbel stone carved as a shield with chevron and 2 roses.
Graded II* as an extremely interesting early C17 house which retains much of its interior character.
Other nearby listed buildings