This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 53.0289 / 53°1'43"N
Longitude: -2.9729 / 2°58'22"W
OS Eastings: 334844
OS Northings: 348398
OS Grid: SJ348483
Mapcode National: GBR 76.FB9Y
Mapcode Global: WH895.94KB
Plus Code: 9C5V22HG+HR
Entry Name: Bryn-y-Grog Hall
Listing Date: 19 July 1989
Last Amended: 3 December 1996
Source ID: 1727
Building Class: Domestic
Location: Situated c1km NW of Marchwiel in open countryside above the main road from Marchwiel to Wrexham.
Community: Marchwiel (Marchwiail)
Traditional County: Denbighshire
Constructed late C18 on the site of a building which had been on the site since at least 1700 when it was owned by Mrs Elis of Wrexham, Bryn-y-Grog Hall was bought by Philip Yorke of Erddig in 1773 from John Jones. It was the residence of John Edgeworth and later of Charles Menzies Holland the Victorian railway engineer and slate quarry owner. Some interior alterations c1840, interior partially stripped and some windows removed, late C20. In use as timber and furniture workshop and store at time of 1996 survey.
Restrained Neoclassical style. Red brick in Flemish bond with rubbed brick voussoirs, stone dressings, slate roof, hipped to wings, brick chimneys. Stone cornices, dentilled to wings, sill band and plinth. Symmetrical front elevation with 3-storey 3-window centre flanked by 2-storey bowed wings, central porch with paired monolithic Tuscan columns, steps up to pedimented doorcase with sidelights and traceried fanlight. Surviving original windows are 15-pane sashes to wings and 9- and 12-pane sashes to main block. Left hand return has central pedimented brick feature which breaks slightly forward and has blind arched and square-headed opening flanked by similar blind openings; one sash window. Right hand return has replaced windows, rear elevation shows signs of alteration to left side, to right there is a large stone pilastered opening with steps up from garden.
Retains substantially intact plan-form to ground floor including 2-storey oval galleried entrance hall with cantilevered stair with slender balusters and wreathed handrail. Lincrusta or similar swagged frieze, central ribbed ceiling rose. Ground floor rooms generally retain Neoclassical fire-surrounds and friezes, there are some 6-panel mahogany doors, former dining room has rich foliage frieze and Gothic revival style fireplace. In many places plasterwork and areas of ceiling have been removed. Upper floors not accessible at time of 1996 survey.
Listed grade II* as a very distinguished Neoclassical composition which retains many contemporary interior features of interest.
Other nearby listed buildings