History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

The Cottage

A Grade II Listed Building in Acton, Wrexham

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.0528 / 53°3'9"N

Longitude: -2.9896 / 2°59'22"W

OS Eastings: 333762

OS Northings: 351070

OS Grid: SJ337510

Mapcode National: GBR 76.CL9G

Mapcode Global: WH88Z.1JNJ

Entry Name: The Cottage

Listing Date: 31 January 1994

Last Amended: 31 January 1994

Grade: II

Source: Cadw

Source ID: 1753

Building Class: Domestic

Location: Set back from the road on the corner of Penymaes Avenue.

County: Wrexham

Community: Acton

Community: Acton

Built-Up Area: Wrexham

Traditional County: Denbighshire

Find accommodation in
Wrexham

History

House, designed in 1908 by Allen Foxley of London for Miss Wolstenholme.

Exterior

Vernacular revival style, with roughcast render over brick and red plain tiled roof. One and a half storeyed, L-plan. Original entrance in flat-roofed porch in the rear elevation is now disused. Front elevation has central gable over loggia to ground floor, supported on timber posts. 4-light casement window in gable, and wood mullioned casement and French windows below. Glazed porch in left hand angle. 4-light casement window to right. Stack against rear wall, connected to main roofline by gablet. Return elevation to right comprises 2 gables, with a single upper window in left hand gable, stair window and 2 3-light casement windows in the right. Former range of outbuilding parallel to main range now been rebuilt and incorporated into the house. There have been some alterations to the internal planning, but the original arrangement of rooms nevertheless substantially survives. The original plan provided a central hall with dining room and sitting room to either side, ground floor bathroom, and kitchen and scullery etc in the wing beyond the stairs.

Reasons for Listing

A good example of a neo-vernacular cottage, of a type more often associated with the garden city movement.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

  • II Epworth Lodge
    Situated in enclosed garden towards the north-east end of the road, and part of a late C19 development of villas.
  • II Former Grove Park School
    To the north of the town centre, on the east side of Chester Road, north of its junction with Powell Road.
  • II Fern Bank and former Coach House
    Set back from the road between No 9 and Epworth Lodge.
  • II No.9 Grove Road (Nw Side),,,,,clwyd,
    Set back from the street in enclosed garden, and one of a series of late C19 villas surviving on the west of the street.
  • II Romano
    Situated in enclosed garden towards the north-east end of the road, and part of a late C19 development of villas.
  • II Plas Gwilym
    Situated towards the SW end of the road, the first surviving C19 building on this side of the street.
  • II St Giles House
    Set back from the road in its own grounds, near the junction with Park Avenue.
  • II Royal Welch Fusiliers Memorial
    At the junction of Bodhyfryd and Chester Road, sited so as to face down Chester Road.

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.