History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

The Talbot Public House

A Grade II Listed Building in Rhosddu, Wrexham

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.046 / 53°2'45"N

Longitude: -2.9937 / 2°59'37"W

OS Eastings: 333477

OS Northings: 350320

OS Grid: SJ334503

Mapcode National: GBR 75.D59H

Mapcode Global: WH88Y.ZPLR

Entry Name: The Talbot Public House

Listing Date: 31 January 1994

Last Amended: 31 January 1994

Grade: II

Source: Cadw

Source ID: 1844

Building Class: Commercial

Location: Prominently sited at the junction of Hope Street and Queen Street.

County: Wrexham

Community: Rhosddu (Rhos-ddu)

Community: Rhosddu

Built-Up Area: Wrexham

Traditional County: Denbighshire

Find accommodation in
Wrexham

History

Built in 1904-5 to designs of John H. Davies and Son of Chester, as a public house and shops, replacing an earlier Talbot Inn which occupied the same site.

Exterior

Half timbered with red plain tiled roof. 3-storeyed polygonal corner building with outer gables facing Hope Street and Queen Street, and lower 2-storeyed gabled range to Queen Street. Shop fronts renewed throughout, although the terracotta panel over the Queen Street elevation doorway to the Talbot and a number of terracotta console brackets to the original fascias survive. Wood mullioned and transomed oriel windows to first floor with leading and stained glass in upper lights, and 3-tier window lighting stairs in Queen Street elevation. Jettied upper storey, with 3-light casement windows (renewed in original openings) beneath the 3 gables of the polygonal central range. Longer bands of fenestration beneath outer gable. Heavy bargeboards with finials to gables. Polygonal roof with small dormer windows with leaded hoods in each face, terminating in leaded cap with finial. End wall stacks in enriched brickwork, a standard type designed by Douglas and Fordham for production by J. C. Edwards of Ruabon. 4-gabled range to Queen Street, with oriel window beneath each gable. Overhanging tiled roofs with finials.

Reasons for Listing

An excellent example of the early C20 neo-Tudor style, which makes an important contribution to the townscape.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.