This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.7692 / 51°46'8"N
Longitude: -3.2444 / 3°14'39"W
OS Eastings: 314230
OS Northings: 208563
OS Grid: SO142085
Mapcode National: GBR YW.ZMW6
Mapcode Global: VH6CT.QS6M
Entry Name: Great Exhibition Lump of Coal at Bedwellty Park
Listing Date: 21 August 1992
Last Amended: 14 October 1999
Source ID: 1879
Building Class: Commemorative
Location: Bedwellty Park is located on the S side of Tredegar town centre. The lump of coal is set underneath a shelter building above the duckponds W of Bedwellty House.
County: Blaenau Gwent
Traditional County: Monmouthshire
Celebrated lump of coal cut as a special exercise to form a monument at the 1851 Great Exhibition. It was cut at the yard level (on the site of the bus station) by the expert collier John Jones, alias ‘Collier Mawr’. Jones cut a block weighing twenty tons (20.32 tonnes), but a five-ton (5.08 tonnes) piece broke away during transportation. Despite its reduced size, it is still reputed to be the largest block of coal ever cut. Owing to the difficulties of transportation, it was decided that it would not survive the journey to Crystal Palace, and it was set up in the grounds of Bedwellty House, the home of the Homfray family, who owned both the Tredegar Ironworks and the Yard Level. A block of two tons (2.03 tonnes) was cut from the same seam 100 years later for the Festival of Britain, and this was subsequently also placed at Bedwellty Park.
Block of coal approximately five feet (1.52 metres) by four feet (1.22 metres) and thirteen feet (3.96 metres) long, bound by a large wrought-iron band. The block stands on an elongated dram with eight wheels, on a specially-laid short length of plateway. The steel and perspex shelter was placed overhead in 1992 to protect the coal from the weather. The smaller block dating from 1951 stands next to the large block, also bound with iron bands, and under cover.
Listed as a unique monument to the coal industry in South Wales and to the skill of South Wales miners.
Other nearby listed buildings