History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Boundary Stone at Bedwellty House

A Grade II Listed Building in Tredegar, Blaenau Gwent

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.769 / 51°46'8"N

Longitude: -3.2428 / 3°14'34"W

OS Eastings: 314338

OS Northings: 208542

OS Grid: SO143085

Mapcode National: GBR YW.ZN8M

Mapcode Global: VH6CT.RS0S

Entry Name: Boundary Stone at Bedwellty House

Listing Date: 14 October 1999

Last Amended: 14 October 1999

Grade: II

Source: Cadw

Source ID: 22486

Building Class: Industrial

Location: Bedwellty House is located towards E side of Bedwellty Park, a large public park on the S side of Tredegar town centre. Boundary Stone (not in original location) set in flower border on E side of hou

County: Blaenau Gwent

Community: Tredegar

Community: Tredegar

Traditional County: Monmouthshire

Find accommodation in
Tredegar

History

Dated 1818. Former boundary stone of Sirhowy Ironworks. Erected during or shortly after an acrimonious dispute, when the leasehold of the Ironworks, held by the Tredegar Iron Company ended, the site unexpectedly purchased by John Harford, co-partner of the Ebbw Vale Ironworks. The Tredegar Iron Company refused the terms of a new lease from Harford, and stripped all moveable plant from the site before the new owners took possession, eventually incurring a fine of £6000. It is not known when the stone was removed to Bedwellty House. A similar stone survives near the Sirhowy Ironworks Site.

Exterior

Small stone with rounded head, now set flat. Inscription reads: ‘S 1818’, referring to the Sirhowy Works.

Reasons for Listing

Listed as a rare survival of an early C19 industrial boundary stone with unusual history. Important historical association with the local iron industry, group value with Bedwellty House.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

  • II Bedwellty House
    Located towards E side of Bedwellty Park, a large public park on the S side of Tredegar town centre.
  • II War Memorial at Bedwellty Park
    Bedwellty Park is located on the S side of Tredegar town centre. The War Memorial stands near the eastern boundary of the park, facing The Promenade.
  • II Ice House to NW of Bedwellty House
    Bedwellty House is located towards E side of Bedwellty Park, a large public park on the S side of Tredegar town centre. Ice House set above the service courtyard to NW of house, built into steep bank
  • II Great Exhibition Lump of Coal at Bedwellty Park
    Bedwellty Park is located on the S side of Tredegar town centre. The lump of coal is set underneath a shelter building above the duckponds W of Bedwellty House.
  • II Bandstand at Bedwellty Park
    Bedwellty Park is located on the S side of Tredegar town centre. The bandstand stands prominently SW of Bedwellty House.
  • II Former Tredegar Company Shop
    Near corner with Bridge Street.
  • II N.C.B. Club
    Building occupies SW quadrant of the Circle, in the town centre.
  • II* The Town Clock
    Very Prominently located in the centre of The Circle.

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.