History in Structure

Church of Saint Teilo

A Grade II* Listed Building in Llanarth, Monmouthshire

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »


Latitude: 51.7938 / 51°47'37"N

Longitude: -2.9067 / 2°54'24"W

OS Eastings: 337564

OS Northings: 210961

OS Grid: SO375109

Mapcode National: GBR FB.Y1MN

Mapcode Global: VH79G.K5QQ

Plus Code: 9C3VQ3VV+G8

Entry Name: Church of Saint Teilo

Listing Date: 9 January 1956

Last Amended: 15 March 2000

Grade: II*

Source: Cadw

Source ID: 1969

Building Class: Religious, Ritual and Funerary

Also known as: St Teilo's Church, Llanarth

ID on this website: 300001969

Location: Situated at S end of Llanarth village on E side of road in large churchyard.

County: Monmouthshire

Town: Raglan

Community: Llanarth (Llan-arth)

Community: Llanarth

Traditional County: Monmouthshire

Tagged with: Church building

Find accommodation in


Anglican parish church, mostly C15. Some rebuilding said to have been done c1750, possibly the porch. Reseated in 1847 with new pulpit and 3 new windows, to design by John Prichard. Restored 1884-5 by Richard Creed, tower top rebuilt in Ham Hill stone 1884-5 for £256/10/0d (£256.50), A.E. Saunders builder, new chancel arch in Penyclawdd stone, for which James Morgan, mason, was paid £49, and timber tower screen. Chancel restored 1886-7 for the Ecclesiastical Commissioners, possibly by Creed. Nave ceiling in red deal, 1890, by Creed. In porch plaque refers to work in 1926.


Anglican parish church. Sandstone rubble with freestone to tower and stone tiled roofs. Ashlar C19 coping to gables and cross finials. Tower, long nave with central S porch, and chancel. Fine W tower of three stages with string courses in pink sandstone, rebuilt embattled parapet and 3 tall crocketted finials in yellow sandstone. NE embattled square stair tower. Raised plinth with heavy ogee moulding, moulded pointed W doorway with C19 door, tiny square deep-set light above. Similar small lights to second stage set low on N and S, high on W face. Top stage has small 2-light flat-headed bell-openings, recessed with cusped ogee heads and stone louvres. Stone rainwater spouts to centre of each face.
Nave has C15 heavily moulded timber eaves cornice surviving at left end only. One late C19 single light left of porch with cusping, two small quatrefoils, flat head and deep hoodmould. Porch has C19 coping, C19 restored segmental pointed moulded arch and C19 roof within. C19 plank door. To right grouped together are a small medieval cusped lancet, a large original Perp segmental pointed 3-light window with panel tracery, and two superimposed rood lights, renewed in C20. Deep-set 2-light below, flat headed with cusped ogee heads to lights, and a flush 2-light above. Chancel S has single lancet with cusped head, narrow door with segmental pointed head and recessed 3-light window with arch-heads to lights, all C19. E end has battered wall-base and 3-light window, stepped lancets, C19 sandstone. N side has one small cusped lancet to right. Nave N has coped projection for rood-stair to right with small flat-headed flush 2-light window, chamfered surrounds. C15 moulded timber eaves cornice carried on small corbel blocks. Two large late C19 2-light windows with cambered heads, deep-hoodmoulds and Perp style tracery.
Battered base to nave walls.


Segmental-pointed tower arch with stone voussoirs, late C19 timber screen, narrow Tudor-arched door to stair-turret, high ringing floor in tower. Walls stripped of plaster, 1890 boarded nave roof. Rood stair N with diagonally set Tudor-arched door, hollow moulded with traceried relief panels on right side jamb. Stair turns to give access to pulpit via Tudor-arched door in E wall of nave. 1884-5 chancel arch, pointed with half-octagonal shafts. Plank S door, possibly C18, with strap hinges, segmental-pointed over arch. The big S 3-light Perp window is in Tudor-arched recess with seat within. The lower of the two rood lights has lintel corbelled from left with triangular relieving stones over (seen also over rood stair opposite). Chancel has double recess N with chamfered jambs and heads. E window wholly C19. Small S wall trefoil headed piscina, and seat in 3-light window. 1886-7 roof of collar-rafters with scissor bracing.
Retooled medieval hexagonal font with 2 chamfers below, over splayed stem with malt-shovel panels. C19 pine pews, mid C19 poppyhead desk and stalls, and C20 panelled pulpit. Late C19 brass standards to altar rail. Memorials : Nave N oval plaque to David Morgan of Bryngwyn d 1816, well-lettered plaque with winged cherub head to Benjamin Nicholas d 1734, signed T. Brute, rustic Adam-style memorial to William Morgan, 1804, with side tapered fluted pilasters, urn top and obelisks, signed H. James. Very large marble plaque to Elizabeth Jones of Clytha House d 1787 with high tapering top and long encomium inscription. Nave S rustic Adam-style plaque to John Howells d1798 and his wife d 1803 with fluting, paterae and obelisk top with urn between 2 small obelisks with pineapples, signed G. Greenway of Wyesham. E window stained glass 1969 by Celtic Studios, Christ in

Reasons for Listing

Listed as a well-preserved medieval parish church with original detail including west tower and openings to rood-loft, as well as good rustic neoclassical monuments.

External Links

External links are from the relevant listing authority and, where applicable, Wikidata. Wikidata IDs may be related buildings as well as this specific building. If you want to add or update a link, you will need to do so by editing the Wikidata entry.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.