This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.6291 / 51°37'44"N
Longitude: -2.894 / 2°53'38"W
OS Eastings: 338218
OS Northings: 192637
OS Grid: ST382926
Mapcode National: GBR JB.8DS3
Mapcode Global: VH7B7.S9FY
Entry Name: Barn to N of Kemeys Manor
Listing Date: 1 March 1963
Last Amended: 19 December 1995
Source ID: 2917
Building Class: Agriculture and Subsistence
Location: Set on the E side of the A449. Located on the W slope of the steep escarpement of Kemeys Graig, immediately to the S of the A449. Accessed from Kemeys Farm, adjoining Kemeys Manor. Set at the end o
Locality: Kemeys Inferior
Traditional County: Monmouthshire
Kemeys Manor has C13 origins when Edward Kemeys, Lord of the Manor, settled at Kemeys Greig. Extended during the C16 and occupied continuously by the Kemeys family until 1700 when George Kemeys, builder of Kemeys Folly, sold the house and farms. During these four centuries the Kemeys family married into some of the most prestigious families in the County, including; Lewis of St Pierre, Lewis of Van, Cecil, Lewis and Jones (Herbert). This barn is dated 1597.
Barn, dated 1597, enclosing the south end of a small yard, aligned on an E/W axis. Four bays, elevations of coursed rubble. E end gabled, W end has hipped roof with Roman tiles. N elevation has off-centre, full height doorway with ventilation slot to either side. S elevation has two-storey porch with round-headed, dressed stone door surround beneath a relieving arch. Three-light, sunk-chamfered window beneath hoodmould above doorway; the outer two lights now blocked. Datestone above window inscribed 1597. Further similar two-light window above. Flight of steep steps on E side of porch leads to a doorway. Another similarly blocked three-light window on the W side of the porch. Part blocked doorway on W gable with later (?) hipped roof. Internally, evidence of former first floor in W end of barn with two chamfered and stopped large beams with mortises for joists remaining. Planked partition with door to loft over porch. Original pegged "A" framed roof structure remains.
Single storey byre range attached to NW end of barn; E side is open, with conical rubble columns, in the local manner. Four-bay C19 cartshed attached to E end of barn and to south of the cartshed forming was formerly a further range (probably stables) of which only the S gable and part of the E and W walls now remain. Yard is enclosed by a coursed rubble wall.
Listed grade II as a dated C16 barn associated with the neighbouring Kemeys Manor.
Other nearby listed buildings