This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.6166 / 51°36'59"N
Longitude: -2.8152 / 2°48'54"W
OS Eastings: 343655
OS Northings: 191178
OS Grid: ST436911
Mapcode National: GBR JF.98LJ
Mapcode Global: VH7B9.5M2L
Plus Code: 9C3VJ58M+JW
Entry Name: Tabernacle Chapel (including Wroth Memorial Hall)
Listing Date: 1 March 1963
Last Amended: 19 December 1995
Source ID: 2924
Building Class: Religious, Ritual and Funerary
Location: Located on the N side of the A48, approximately 1km E of The Rock and Fountain Inn. Set back from the road with the Memorial Hall incorporated at the W end.
Community: Llanvaches (Llanfaches)
Traditional County: Monmouthshire
Non-conformist chapel, built in 1803 on the site of the earlier chapel. The first Independent Church in Wales was founded in 1638 by William Wroth, Rector of Llanvaches (1611 to 1638) following his expulsion from the parish church. The Chapel building was erected some time after. The chapel was remodelled in 1924 when a contiguous Memorial Hall was added to the W end. Alleged to incorporate fragments of the original C17 chapel.
Single storey, rendered elevations, gabled, slated roof. Central timber doorway on S elevation leading to chapel at E end. The chapel is lit on the S side by three large, steel-framed, small paned windows, unlit on the N side. Second entrance on E gable end, modern door. To the W end is the "Wroth Memorial Hall" with date of 1924 on circular cartouche set within pediment; the hall has similar glazing.
The S elevation allegedly incorporates parts of the earlier C17 chapel. The C19 grained pine fittings include; gallery, pews and lectern, otherwise undecorated.
Listed grade II, despite modernisation, for the special historic interest of its associations with William Wroth and early Non-Conformism in Wales.
Other nearby listed buildings