This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.9174 / 51°55'2"N
Longitude: -3.9943 / 3°59'39"W
OS Eastings: 262940
OS Northings: 226193
OS Grid: SN629261
Mapcode National: GBR DW.P7XH
Mapcode Global: VH4HX.Q28H
Entry Name: Brynmaen Quaker Burial Ground
Listing Date: 13 February 1995
Last Amended: 26 July 1995
Source ID: 3067
Building Class: Religious, Ritual and Funerary
Location: Situated some 800m SE of Salem, at the end of dead-end lane, in the grounds of Brynmaen, marked on OS as Bwlchuddwyallt.
Community: Manordeilo and Salem (Manordeilo a Salem)
Community: Manordeilo and Salem
Traditional County: Carmarthenshire
Apparently one of the earliest Quaker Burial Grounds in SW Wales, established 1698 and in use until 1829. It was repaired and a new gate installed in 1870. The burial ground was linked to meeting houses at Penybanc and New House (near New Inn), Manordeilo, both built in the mid C18, but New House disused by 1800. Burials appear to have taken place fairly regularly, however only two memorials remain within and no trace of headstones were found in recent clearing. A prominent Carms. Minister from New Inn, Job Thomas was buried here 1807.
Small square burial ground of some 8m by 8m surrounded by 1.8 to 2m high rubble stone walls. Entry on the W side with stone lintel and cast iron gate with plaque "Friends Burying Ground 1870". One standing headstone to Samuel Thomas d1790 aged 6, and one in wall to T Rees Caer-Groed d 1829.
Included for historical interest.
Other nearby listed buildings