History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Salem Independent Chapel

A Grade II Listed Building in Manordeilo and Salem (Manordeilo a Salem), Carmarthenshire

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.9214 / 51°55'16"N

Longitude: -4.0038 / 4°0'13"W

OS Eastings: 262298

OS Northings: 226658

OS Grid: SN622266

Mapcode National: GBR DV.P5K5

Mapcode Global: VH4HQ.KY7Y

Entry Name: Salem Independent Chapel

Listing Date: 13 February 1995

Last Amended: 13 February 1995

Grade: II

Source: Cadw

Source ID: 15185

Building Class: Religious, Ritual and Funerary

Location: Situated at N end of Salem village, on W side of road.

County: Carmarthenshire

Community: Manordeilo and Salem (Manordeilo a Salem)

Community: Manordeilo and Salem

Locality: Salem

Traditional County: Carmarthenshire

Find accommodation in
Hoel-galed

History

Independent Chapel built 1817, rebuilt in 1831, enlarged 1862 and renovated 1927, according to plaque; the present building apparently of 1862.

Exterior

1862 Independent chapel, roughcast (C20 dry-dash to front) with slate roof. Plain gable front with two long arched windows and centre arched door with similar, shorter arched window over. Windows are small-paned with marginal glazing bars and intersecting tracery in heads, door fanlight is similar to window heads. Double doors. Date plaque in gable. Side walls have two similar long arched windows. Rear is windowless. Attached whitewashed rubble stone outbuilding, with E side two doors to ground floor and outside steps to left to loft door. Two loft windows. Stone voussoirs to ground floor.

Interior

Probably all of 1862, apart from pulpit which may be of 1927. Much of woodwork grained, including dark graining on pews. Three-sided gallery with curved corners, coved stencilled underside and long and short front panels. 3x3 plain iron columns. Great seat with railed back, pulpit with steps up each side and simple arched-panel projecting pulpit-front. Plaster arch with pilasters and ornate consoles. Flat ceiling divided by thin timber ribs. Entrance lobby with coloured-glass window to chapel.

Reasons for Listing

A good chapel with original glazing and interior still with the grained woodwork typical of the early to mid C19.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

  • II Hafod
    Situated some 600m down dead-end lane, from junction some 300m W of Crosswell crossroads, N of Salem.
  • II Outbuilding to SW of Hafod
    Situated just S of house, flanking on drive.
  • II Attached Byre to left of Hafod
    Situated some 600m down dead-end lane, from junction some 300m W of Crosswell crossroads, N of Salem.
  • II Brynmaen Quaker Burial Ground
    Situated some 800m SE of Salem, at the end of dead-end lane, in the grounds of Brynmaen, marked on OS as Bwlchuddwyallt.
  • II Taliaris Lodge
    Situated some 600m SW of Taliaris mansion, at junction of three lanes.
  • II Brynio Fawr
    Situated at top of dead-end lane running W from B4302 from junction some 350m S of Hope Inn crossroads.

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.