This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.6338 / 51°38'1"N
Longitude: -3.0165 / 3°0'59"W
OS Eastings: 329743
OS Northings: 193270
OS Grid: ST297932
Mapcode National: GBR J4.8CY0
Mapcode Global: VH7B5.N6NB
Entry Name: Ty-coch Farmhouse
Listing Date: 12 May 1980
Last Amended: 30 September 2003
Source ID: 3137
Building Class: Domestic
Location: Attached to a C20 factory unit on the S side of Llantarnam Park Way in Llantarnam Industrial Park.
Built-Up Area: Cwmbran
Traditional County: Monmouthshire
Farmhouse restored since 1980 listing as offices. C17 altered in earlier C19, with date stone '1613 RIEW' possibly reset. The front windows are late C19 or early C20 timber mullion windows, some renewed in late C20 restoration, elsewhere original C17 ovolo-moulded oak mullion windows to both main range and service range. In RCAHMW file is a note by J. Fletcher of a curious Welsh inscription on wall by doorway, now gone, and that house was a hiding place for Jesuit priests serving Llantarnam Abbey, including Father Baker captured here 16/11/1678 and executed at Usk.
House, white-painted roughcast with slate close-eaved roof and two stone stacks. Two storeys and attic, main 3-window range with entry between centre and right bays, small rebuilt stone stack on ridge left of entry (brick stack in 1980) and a larger rebuilt stack on ridge to right (a pair of diagonally set stone stacks in 1980) between main range and short 2-bay service range which has same ridge line but front wall set back. Catslide dormers with leaded casement pair windows, 3 to main range one to service range. Cambered headed windows with timber leaded lights. Main range has broad 5-light windows to left with date plaque between floors, narrow 3-light windows to centre and 4-light windows to right. Service range has similar 4-light and 3-light to first floor, 5-light and door to ground floor. Main door replaced since 1980 (formerly ledged with massive iron hinges and diagonal boarding on inside) in late C20 arch-topped open porch on two columns.
Left end wall has C17 four-light mullion window to ground floor, and C17 similar 3-light above. Casement pair to attic (described as similar 2-light window in 1980)
Right end wall has added buttress. C20 3-light first floor window (C17 3-light in 1980) and square leaded ground floor window.
Rear has outshut to right with C17 2-light mullion window in return over ground floor fixed casement pair. C20 addition to rear. Centre has long 4-light C17 window each floor with hoodmoulds (lighting main rooms between ridge stacks) and door to right. Windows have iron opening lights, original catch to ground floor window and old glass. To left of larger stack, a tiny C17 2-light to first floor and ground floor C17 2-light to right and casement pair to left.
Interior partially inspected, some details from RCAHMW archives. Cross-passage with ovolo-moulded head to rear door. Room to right has chamfered and stopped timber lintel to fireplace, one beam over fireplace and one chamfered beam. Remains of timber-frame screen to passage with some scribed lines to plaster panels. Beam over entry to room to left which has ornately stopped ovolo-moulded beams, ovolo-moulded lintel to fireplace and window seat. Shaped doorhead to space beneath old plain rear stairs and blocked 5-light diamond-mullion window within. Shutters to 2-light window on stairway. First floor has moulded doorframe on landing, and ovolo-moulded beams, door and beams with very ornate stops of two parallel rolls and a convex run-out. Roof has collar trusses above left end. Service end not inspected, roof had one truss and axial beam carrying ceiling joists below.
Included as a C17 house with good surviving interior detail.
Other nearby listed buildings