History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Gwenddar Mill

A Grade II Listed Building in Henryd, Conwy

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.2525 / 53°15'8"N

Longitude: -3.8553 / 3°51'19"W

OS Eastings: 276314

OS Northings: 374435

OS Grid: SH763744

Mapcode National: GBR 1ZJT.4S

Mapcode Global: WH545.RH9Y

Plus Code: 9C5R742V+XV

Entry Name: Gwenddar Mill

Listing Date: 13 October 1966

Last Amended: 28 December 1995

Grade: II

Source: Cadw

Source ID: 3199

Building Class: Industrial

Location: Located approximately 1km W of Henryd village, on the N side of the lane leading E from Henryd towards St. Celynin old church; sited prominently at the junction of the lane with a track leading N to T

County: Conwy

Community: Henryd

Community: Henryd

Traditional County: Caernarfonshire

Tagged with: Mill

Find accommodation in
Llangelynin

Exterior

History: Mid C18 mill with early C19 cross-wing addition. Various graffiti are visible: 174(8)? on the collar truss of the primary range; OH 1792 near the SE angle (apparently for Owen Holland); and on W wall, 1799 HW.

Exterior: 2 storey L-shaped mill of rubble construction, being re-roofed at time of inspection (September 1995), though formerly slated with small, undressed slates. Cambered windows to ground and first floors of advanced, road-facing gable of primary range, the upper one with pegged oak frame and contemporary boarded shutter; rubble voussoirs. Curved timber lintel to large cart opening on E return with voussoirs as before; blocked window opening to L at angle with later cross-range. Further window to E gable of cross-range with loading bay above; frames as before and the latter with contemporary stable doors.. Large C19 iron overshot waterwheel to N gable of cross-wing with small 2-light wooden mullioned window above; cambered head. Further, disturbed openings to S side.

Interior: 2-bay primary range with pegged, curved and chamfered collar to partly-collapsed truss. Some C19 milling machinery survives, though mostly collapsed. 2-bay later range with bolted collar truss. Still in situ (September 1995), a cast-iron corn grinder by Henry Bamford and Sons of Uttoxeter, dated 1891. Chamfered main beam and plain joists to partly-collapsed ceiling. Short, solid oak tread single-flight stair with plain rail and stick balusters, leading to mezzanine loft.

A mid C18 vernacular water mill retaining much of its character.

Reference: RCAHMW, Caernarvonshire, Vol.1,East, 130 (446).

External Links

External links are from the relevant listing authority and, where applicable, Wikidata. Wikidata IDs may be related buildings as well as this specific building. If you want to add or update a link, you will need to do so by editing the Wikidata entry.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

  • II Pont Henryd
    Spanning the Afon Henryd at the W extremity of the village, and carrying the main village lane.
  • II Independent Chapel including walled graveyard attached to E
    Located prominently on the main street line within the village.
  • II Henryd Farmhouse
    Set back slightly from the main village street behind rubble walls, immediately to the NE of Henryd Independent Chapel.
  • II Plas Celynin
    Located on a rise on the N side of the lane linking Henryd with Llanrwst Road, approximately 0.5km E of Henryd village.
  • II Llangelynin New Church
    Located on the E side of a lane about 1km SW of the B5106 on the way to Rowen; situated in a walled churchyard surrounded by mature trees, with the W tower sited downhill towards the Afon Gyffin.
  • II Hen-dy Farmhouse including attached outbuilding
    Above the Afon Gyffin, some 4km SW of Conwy and 2km NW of Henryd village.
  • II Plas Iolyn
    Located approximately 1.5km N of Henryd to the E of Henryd road; set back from the road in its own grounds.
  • I St Celynin's Old Church
    Located on a high plateau in the rocky uplands at the W extremity of the community, near the Cerrig-y-Ddinas hillfort and some 3km W of Henryd village.

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.