This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 53.2832 / 53°16'59"N
Longitude: -3.8343 / 3°50'3"W
OS Eastings: 277804
OS Northings: 377822
OS Grid: SH778778
Mapcode National: GBR 1ZNG.PR
Mapcode Global: WH654.2QDV
Entry Name: Bodlondeb Lodge
Listing Date: 8 October 1981
Last Amended: 5 May 2006
Source ID: 3238
Building Class: Domestic
Location: Facing the S entrance to Bodlondeb.
Traditional County: Caernarfonshire
Probably built in 1877 with the house, by T.M. Lockwood, architect of Liverpool. It is shown on the 1889 Ordnance Survey. Bodlondeb became municipal offices in 1937 and the lodge has also been converted for office use.
A Domestic-revival 1½-storey lodge of snecked rock-faced stone, with timber-framing to the attic gables and porch, steep tile roof on overhanging eaves, with ridge tiles and moulded brick finials. The main range has a central ridge stack. The lodge comprises a main range with gable end facing Bangor Road, and porch and lower hipped bay on the E side facing the entrance drive to the house. In this E elevation the porch outshut on the L side has a boarded door incorporating glazed panels. The lower canted, deeply projecting 1-storey bay to its R has 2 small-pane mullioned casements with leaded overlights with thinner mullions. In its N side wall is an external stack.
The S gable end to Bangor Road has 2 central small-pane casement windows with overlights. The timber-framed gable is on a corbelled bressumer, and also has a collar beam projecting on brackets. It has a triple small-pane casement window with leaded upper lights. Set back on the R, the entrance outshut has a small window. In the N gable end is a corbelled bressumer to a timber-framed gable, with lean-to roof incorporating a skylight below the gable proper. The W (rear) wall has a hipped small-pane dormer and small-pane window on the L side.
On the N side is a roofed link to a formerly detached washhouse. This comprises the priginal small single storeyd block, with later 2-storey range in line behind it. The original block has a coped gable end to the entrance drive, and a small N window. The 2-storey rear range is of snecked rock-faced stone with lighter freestone quoins, tile roof and ridge tiles and finial. A stack is in the NW corner. Gables have rendered imitation timber-framing, and projecting barge boards with X-shaped bracing and pendant finial. The E gable end facing the road has a 3-light 1st-floor window. On the N side is a 2-pane horned sash window in a stone surround, and in the W gable end a 2-pane sash window in the ground floor, and 3-light 1st-floor window.
Not inspected, but converted to offices.
Listed for its special architectural interest as a lodge of definite C19 character, succesfuuly converted to offices in the C20, and for group value with Bodlondeb and other associated listed items.
Other nearby listed buildings