This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 53.213 / 53°12'46"N
Longitude: -4.1568 / 4°9'24"W
OS Eastings: 256074
OS Northings: 370610
OS Grid: SH560706
Mapcode National: GBR 5N.1QPY
Mapcode Global: WH547.3HVP
Entry Name: Tros-y-canol
Listing Date: 26 February 1988
Last Amended: 26 March 1998
Source ID: 4144
Building Class: Domestic
Location: Located on the boundary of Penrhos Garnedd with Bangor Community Council, and set slightly back from the road in a line of suburban development.
Built-Up Area: Bangor
Traditional County: Caernarfonshire
Documentary references date the building back to 1726 but, in its present form, the house is early C19 in character, in a style associated with the Penrhyn Estate which owned the property for a few years from 1813.
Stuccoed stone and brick, with a hipped slate roof. Two storeys, 'L'-plan. Main front is of 3 bays, with 2 further bays set back on the right. Central lattice porch to the main block over a half-glazed door, stepping down to house. Small pane sash windows with cusped and pointed glazing bars to the upper light, and stone label moulding. Slate sills and splayed recesses to the ground floor. The upper windows of the main block have raised hipped dormers with deep eaves. Central half-glazed door to the first floor formerly leading on to a railed verandah, the railings now removed. The right-hand part has one similar window to ground floor, the others altered, one blocked. Contemporary rain-water head. Slate hung left end with similar half-hipped gable end windows, tripartite to ground floor and 12-pane above. The rear is largely pebbledashed and has a modern lean-to structure over almost the full width concealing a tripartite sash window. Rendered outer side and pebbledsashed gable to rear; the former includes 3 leaded casement windows, one with Gothic heads.
The interior retains the original plan and details, including a turned newel staircase.
Included as a well-preserved example of a Gothick revival dwelling, probably built by the Penrhyn Estate.
Other nearby listed buildings