History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Capel Bethesda

A Grade II Listed Building in Bethesda, Gwynedd

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.1793 / 53°10'45"N

Longitude: -4.0616 / 4°3'41"W

OS Eastings: 262320

OS Northings: 366672

OS Grid: SH623666

Mapcode National: GBR 5S.3PW2

Mapcode Global: WH54G.LC31

Plus Code: 9C5Q5WHQ+P9

Entry Name: Capel Bethesda

Listing Date: 9 May 1988

Last Amended: 25 April 1997

Grade: II

Source: Cadw

Source ID: 4145

Building Class: Religious, Ritual and Funerary

Location: Situated in centre of Bethesda, to W of Ogwen Terrace.

County: Gwynedd

Town: Bangor

Community: Bethesda

Community: Bethesda

Built-Up Area: Bethesda

Traditional County: Caernarfonshire

Tagged with: Chapel

Find accommodation in
Bethesda

History

Independent Chapel first built c1820-3, rebuilt 1840 and remodelled 1872-5. This is the chapel from which the town took its name, having previously been known as Glanogwen. Since listing in 1988 the chapel has fallen derelict and the fine interior of l872-5 has gone. Condition in 1996 very poor.

Exterior

Large scale chapel, the main structure probably of 1840, with hipped slate roof, and rendered basement-and-two-storey side elevations, but given an ornate painted stucco facade in 1872-5. This facade is two-storey, three-bay, the centre bay with dentilled pediment raised high over lettered panel `BETHESDA'. Flanking bays have flat blocking courses and outer angles have panelled pedestals with ogee-curved caps. Whole facade has first floor Corinthian order, frieze and dentilled cornice, broken forward four times at angles of main divisions. Outer angles have paired pilasters, centre bay has curiously broad channelled pilasters framing a slightly recessed minor order of two pilasters and outer quarter-pilasters. These frame three long sash windows, the outer two narrower. Outer bays each have large sash with marginal-bars to glazing and full pedimented architrave with keystone. A sill course broken forward below pilasters and windows divides the floors. Below, the outer bays each have broad channelled angle pier and large rusticated arched doorcase to double panelled doors with tall stilted fanlight. Moulded impost bands. Centre has monumental recessed entry with channelled Corinthian broad outer piers paired with baseless Tuscan columns, supporting full entablature with dentilled cornice and panelled band above, up to first floor sill-course. Within porch, double-panelled doors each side.

Sides have 4-window range of cambered-headed sashes on 2 storeys and basement below. Similar 4-window rear, blank lower windows.

Interior

Fine classical interior described in 1988 listing has been destroyed apart from some panels to the ceiling.

Reasons for Listing

Key feature in the townscape of the centre of Bethesda.

External Links

External links are from the relevant listing authority and, where applicable, Wikidata. Wikidata IDs may be related buildings as well as this specific building. If you want to add or update a link, you will need to do so by editing the Wikidata entry.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.