A Grade II Listed Building in Llanddeiniolen, Gwynedd
Latitude: 53.1249 / 53°7'29"N
Longitude: -4.119 / 4°7'8"W
OS Eastings: 258308
OS Northings: 360735
OS Grid: SH583607
Mapcode National: GBR 5Q.71X7
Mapcode Global: WH54M.PQS7
Entry Name: Former Mortuary
Listing Date: 7 February 1989
Last Amended: 4 November 1999
Source ID: 4150
Building Class: Health and Welfare
Location: Located immediately to the north-west of the former hospital at Dinorwic Slate Quarry on the edge of the levelled site.
Locality: Gilfach Ddu
Traditional County: Caernarfonshire
Built in 1906 to serve the adjoining quarry hospital which was for quarry employees and their families and was financed by the men’s own contributions; it provided free medical care, a weekly payment during sickness, pension and burial expenses.
Small single-storey structure with rear gable end built into hillside. Snecked slate slab construction; slate roof. Front gable end with finial and pendant to bargeboards; modern slate datestone "1906" above central boarded door. Small rectangular window to each return.
Interior has 2 slate slab coffin tables on red brick piers.
Reasons for Listing
Included for its group value with the former Quarry Hospital and for its historic interest as an early and well-preserved example of this building type.
Other nearby listed buildings
Former Hospital and boundary walls
Situated on level site above the north-east side of Llyn Padarn with spectacular mountain views; lies to north-west of the slate museum from which it is reached by a long drive; also approached over C
Situated to the north-west of the former Dinorwic Slate Quarry Workshops, immediately alongside the former Padarn Railway (now the Llanberis Lake Railway) between the old quarry hospital and the moder
Incline and Drumhouses
Incline and drumhouses rising from the old floor (now car park of the Welsh Slate Museum) to the top level of the former Vivian Slate Quarry; massive slate retaining wall located immediately to the no
Situated to the north-east of the former Dinorwic Slate Quarry Workshops, the locomotive shed is located immediately north of the entrance to the Glan-y-Bala tunnel which once provided a connection to
Offis Fawr (now Woodcraft Centre)
Located immediately to the east end of the north range of the former Dinorwic Slate Quarry workshop complex, the building is situated high above the workshops on a quarried outcrop; flight of slate st
Dinorwic Slate Quarry Workshops (Welsh Slate Museum Buildings)
Located at the south-east end of Llyn Padarn to the east of Llanberis, the quarry workshops sit at the foot of the vast workings of the former Dinorwic Slate Quarry; the immediately surrounding land i
Located on eastern side of road leading from Dinorwic to the Dinorwic Slate Quarry; dry slate slab wall to front with vertical slate slabs as piers to decorative iron gates.
Incline, Drumhouses and Counter Balances ('A' Incline)
Incline rising steeply to the north-east of the former Dinorwic Slate Quarry Workshops, running initially south-eastwards and then just to the south-west of the former quarryworkers' barracks turning