This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.9139 / 52°54'50"N
Longitude: -4.548 / 4°32'52"W
OS Eastings: 228770
OS Northings: 338208
OS Grid: SH287382
Mapcode National: GBR 54.NKP8
Mapcode Global: WH44G.30KX
Entry Name: Church of St Ceidio
Listing Date: 19 October 1971
Last Amended: 15 July 1998
Source ID: 4268
Building Class: Religious, Ritual and Funerary
Location: Situated in a circular raised churchyard, on a hillock by minor lane running SSE from Edern, some 1.9 km from Edern village.
Traditional County: Caernarfonshire
Anglican parish church, medieval origins, roof trusses of c1500. Substantially restored in 1897 but C18 memorials and fittings survive. Marked as 'Capel Ceidio' on 2" OS Drawings for 1816-19.
Anglican church. Small rectangular undivided structure with walls of large granite rubble boulders with C19 limestone dressings, slate roof with limestone copings and lage W bellcote. Plain three bay church, with N and S cusped lancets with hoodmoulds, E flat-headed 3-light window with hoodmould. W end moulded pointed doorway with hoodmould and oak boarded door. Double bellcote with two moulded pointed cusped openings, coped gable with cross finial, and two-step side buttresses.
Modest undivided interior, whitewashed plaster and three-bay roof. Three late-medieval arch-braced and pegged oak collar-trusses. Two of the trusses have cusped diagonal struts over the collars, the third, at E wall is plain. Purlins, wind-bracing and rafters are C19. Proportion of truss divisions suggests that chancel was once extended eastwards by one bay. E end wall has stone credence shelf on right and slate wall tablet under widow dated 1744. S wall brass plaque to Sara E M Williams-Parry-Jones of Madryn Castle who 'Restored this church in memory of her beloved brother Sir T Love D Jones-Parry 15th September 1897'. Pitch-pine pulpit and reading desk with Gothic tracery to blind panels. Late C19 pine pews with rolled tops, except for 4 centre pews that are earlier: vernacular bench type with open backs and carved initials: 'TPI Esq.'; 'Mrs Owens'; 'Rev Mr WO'.
Listed as a small rural church retaining some late medieval character including the surviving roof-trusses.
Other nearby listed buildings