This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.9241 / 52°55'26"N
Longitude: -4.1309 / 4°7'51"W
OS Eastings: 256844
OS Northings: 338421
OS Grid: SH568384
Mapcode National: GBR 5P.MYV3
Mapcode Global: WH55L.JR3Q
Entry Name: Tafarn Pencei Cafe Bar
Listing Date: 30 March 1951
Last Amended: 26 September 2005
Source ID: 4420
Building Class: Domestic
Location: In a row of terraced houses on the N side of Cornhill.
Built-Up Area: Porthmadog
Traditional County: Caernarfonshire
Cornhill is the group of buildings around the original Porthmadog harbour (Cornhill Wharf), which was built 1821-4. It became the commercial centre of the port and in 1833 Samuel Lewis noted that 'many good houses have been built, and a considerable trade is now carried on'. Buildings in Cornhill included houses, shops, bank, offices and workshops. In 1886 there were sail makers, 2 block and spar makers, 2 public houses, 4 grocers, butcher, ironmonger and a shipsmith. In addition, the Bwlch-y-Slate Quarry Co, Carnarvonshire & Merionethshire Steamship Co, Workmen's Benefit Building Society, Davies Brothers Slate Merchants, Parry & Co and Prichard Brothers ship brokers all had offices in Cornhill.
Nos 17-18 Cornhill were built in the 2nd quarter of the C19 and are shown on the 1842 Tithe map. Shown as 2 premises on the 1885 harbour survey and 1888 Ordnance Survey. They were amalgamated to form a single public house in the C20. Originally No 16 stood on the L-hand side.
Built in a range with No 19 Cornhill, Nos 17-18 are a pair of 2-window 2½-storey houses converted to a single premises, of large slate-stone blocks laid in regular courses, slate roof, of which No 18 on the R side is lower, and stone stacks. Both units have replacement glazed doors on the R side, and a 12-pane horned sash window. The upper storey has 4-pane horned sashes in 2 pairs. The L-hand (No 17) has a large added gabled roof dormer, and the R side (No 18) has 2 added skylights. On the L side is a 1-storey projection with balcony above, on the site of No 16. The L gable end, formerly a dividing wall with No 16, is rendered and painted cream and has a glazed door opening to the balcony.
The rear has a 2-storey gabled extension to the L side (No 18), a flat-roof addition to the R side (No 17), which also has a raised slate-hung upper storey.
Listed for its special architectural interest as 2 former town houses which form part of a terrace in the commercial centre of the port, notable for its distinctive use of local stone and retaining definite C19 character, and for its contribution to the historical integrity of Porthmadog harbour.
Other nearby listed buildings