History in Structure

19, Cornhill (Pencei), Porthmadog harbour, Porthmadog

A Grade II Listed Building in Porthmadog, Gwynedd

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »


Latitude: 52.924 / 52°55'26"N

Longitude: -4.1307 / 4°7'50"W

OS Eastings: 256858

OS Northings: 338418

OS Grid: SH568384

Mapcode National: GBR 5P.MYXP

Mapcode Global: WH55L.JR6Q

Plus Code: 9C4QWVF9+JP

Entry Name: 19, Cornhill (Pencei), Porthmadog harbour, Porthmadog

Listing Date: 30 March 1951

Last Amended: 26 September 2005

Grade: II

Source: Cadw

Source ID: 85320

ID on this website: 300085320

Location: In a row of terraced houses on the N side of Cornhill.

County: Gwynedd

Town: Porthmadog

Community: Porthmadog

Community: Porthmadog

Built-Up Area: Porthmadog

Traditional County: Caernarfonshire

Tagged with: Building

Find accommodation in


Cornhill is the group of buildings around the original Porthmadog harbour (Cornhill Wharf), which was built 1821-4. It became the commercial centre of the port and in 1833 Samuel Lewis noted that 'many good houses have been built, and a considerable trade is now carried on'. Buildings in Cornhill included houses, shops, bank, offices and workshops. In 1886 there were sail makers, 2 block and spar makers, 2 public houses, 4 grocers, butcher, ironmonger and a shipsmith. In addition, the Bwlch-y-Slate Quarry Co, Carnarvonshire & Merionethshire Steamship Co, Workmen's Benefit Building Society, Davies Brothers Slate Merchants, Parry & Co and Prichard Brothers ship brokers all had offices in Cornhill.

No 19 Cornhill was built in the 2nd quarter of the C19 and is shown on the 1842 Tithe map. Originally a public house it was known as the Rope & Anchor in 1844, and subsequently as the Blue Anchor. Now a private house.


A 2½-storey 3-window house of large slate-stone blocks laid in regular courses, slate roof with added skylights, and end stacks, of which the R-hand has been heightened adjacent to the higher No 20. The entrance is offset to the R of centre. It has a replacement half-glazed door and overlight. Windows are 4-pane horned sashes, shorter in the upper storey. The 2-window rear has replacement windows in earlier openings and an added 1-storey gabled wing on the R side.


Not inspected.

Reasons for Listing

Listed for its special architectural interest as a C19 former public house which forms part of a terrace in the commercial centre of the port, notable for its distinctive use of local stone and retaining definite C19 character, and for its contribution to the historical integrity of Porthmadog harbour.

External Links

External links are from the relevant listing authority and, where applicable, Wikidata. Wikidata IDs may be related buildings as well as this specific building. If you want to add or update a link, you will need to do so by editing the Wikidata entry.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.