This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.9391 / 52°56'20"N
Longitude: -4.1415 / 4°8'29"W
OS Eastings: 256181
OS Northings: 340118
OS Grid: SH561401
Mapcode National: GBR 5P.LVVC
Mapcode Global: WH55L.CD24
Entry Name: Stiwdio Harddwch (One-to-One Beauty Studio)
Listing Date: 30 March 1951
Last Amended: 26 September 2005
Source ID: 4439
Building Class: Domestic
Location: At the N end of Church Street, adjoining No 4 Church Street and No 14 Market Square.
Traditional County: Caernarfonshire
Tremadog was a town created by William Madocks (1773-1828) in the first decade of the C19 on reclaimed land known as Traeth Mawr, the estuary of Afon Glaslyn. It was originally intended to be a post town on a direct road between London and Dublin, via Porthdinllaen on the Lleyn peninsula, a project that in due course lost out to the Holyhead Road. Tremadog was laid out around a market square, with market hall, coaching inn, houses and shops, with a church and chapel just outside the centre. Building of this small planned development, as well as a separate woollen manufactory, began c1805 and was largely completed by the time Richard Colt Hoare described it in 1810. Nos 2-4 Church Street belong to this first phase of development. They were probably built as shops and houses, and are shown on the 1842 Tithe map.
Belongs to a group of 2-4 Church Street, Tremadog.
A pair of houses in a 2-storey 3-window range of large quarried blocks of stone, roughly squared and laid in regular courses, hipped slate roof on projecting eaves and stone stack to the L of centre. The entrance to No 2 is R of centre and has a recessed replacement door in an original opening. To its L is a 6-pane hornless sash window inserted into a former doorway. At the R end is a 8-pane sash window inserted into a large opening (probably a shop window) under a timber lintel. At the L end (No 4) is a 20-pane horned sash window inserted into a similar large former opening with timber lintel. In the upper storey are 6-pane hornless sash windows to the centre and R (described as Gothic in the previous survey) and replacement window to the L. The R end (No 2) adjoins No 14 Market Square.
Attached to the L end (No 4) is a short garden wall of coursed rubble stone and coping. It has a pointed doorway with dressed voussoirs, and a wrought iron gate with railings forming ogee arches, and a quatrefoil and trefoils incorporated into the main arch. (An identical gate is at Plas Tan yr Allt.) The L side wall (No 4) is 4 bays of which bays 2 and 4 have blind round-headed arches of dressed voussoirs (in imitation of the Market Hall). The entrance to No 4 is on the R side of the 2nd bay, and has a replacement split boarded door in an original opening. Bays 1 and 3 have 4-pane sash windows in the lower storey under slate lintels and replacement windows in the upper storey in earlier openings. At the L end is an added 1-storey projection of rubble stone and slate roof, which has a replacement half-glazed boarded door and replacement window to its L.
Listed for its special interest as early C19 house and shops which form part of the original development of Tremadog, notable for the use of local stone and retention of C19 character. An integral part of the planned town.
Other nearby listed buildings