This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.939 / 52°56'20"N
Longitude: -4.1414 / 4°8'28"W
OS Eastings: 256190
OS Northings: 340097
OS Grid: SH561400
Mapcode National: GBR 5P.LVWQ
Mapcode Global: WH55L.CD48
Entry Name: Post Office and house
Listing Date: 30 March 1951
Last Amended: 26 September 2005
Source ID: 4440
Building Class: Domestic
Location: At the N end of a terrace of 4 houses fronting the street.
Traditional County: Caernarfonshire
Tremadog was the creation of William Madocks (1773-1828), the first phase of which was built in the first decade of the C19 century. Nos 8-16 Church Street were probably built in the mid C19 as they are not shown on the 1842 Tithe map, although in 1813 Richard Fenton saw 'the elevation of a new street that is to face the new church'. The houses are shown on the 1871 Tremadog estate plan.
Belongs to a group of 8-16 Church Street, Tremadog.
A terrace of four 2-storey houses and a shop of various rendered fronts, slate roofs and 4 stone stacks (there is no L end stack). The details of the houses differ, and have mostly later C19 fronts. Nos 8-10 form a 2-window shop (The Post Office) and house of scribed render. A modern replacement small-pane shop window has a recessed half-glazed door, and has simple Tuscan pilasters below a fascia and moulded cornice. Other openings have hood moulds. The house (No 10) is entered at the L end by a recessed replacement panelled door and overlight. In the upper storey are replacement top-hung windows offset to the L and aligned with the doorways.
No 12 is a double-fronted house of cream-painted pebble-dashed front with smooth-rendered pilaster strips, upper-storey sill band and architraves. Its entrance is offset to the L of centre and has a recessed central door of 2 round-headed panels under an overlight. Windows are 12-pane hornless sashes with slate sills. No 14 is a 2-window house with grey pebble-dashed front. Openings are offset to the L. The entrance on the L side has an added half-glazed porch, inside which is a replacement half-glazed door under a round-headed overlight with relief foliage in the spandrels. Windows are 2-pane sashes in original openings, horned in the lower storey, hornless in the upper storey. The front bears a plaque commemorating William Jones. No 16 is a pebble-dashed 2-window house. The entrance on the L side has a modern open porch of steel posts supporting an entablature and cornice with dentil frieze. The replacement door has 2 circular panels and glazed round-headed upper panels, under a plain overlight. On the R side is a late C19 2-storey canted bay window with 4-pane sashes. The upper storey also has a 4-pane sash window above the doorway.
In the rubble-stone L gable end No 16 has a replacement attic window to the R of centre. To the rear the houses have 2-storey wings, except for a 1-storey wing to No 12, with added skylights and a roof dormer added to No 14.
Listed as one of a row of C19 houses which, despite some superficial alteration, retains C19 character in an important position opposite the church, and for its contribution to the historical integrity of Tremadog.
Other nearby listed buildings