This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.9394 / 52°56'21"N
Longitude: -4.1415 / 4°8'29"W
OS Eastings: 256184
OS Northings: 340151
OS Grid: SH561401
Mapcode National: GBR 5P.LVV8
Mapcode Global: WH55L.CC3X
Entry Name: Steps and lamp post at centre of Market Square
Listing Date: 1 April 1974
Last Amended: 26 September 2005
Source ID: 4460
Building Class: Gardens, Parks and Urban Spaces
Location: In the centre of the Market Square.
Traditional County: Caernarfonshire
Tremadog was a town created by William Madocks (1773-1828) in the first decade of the C19 on reclaimed land known as Traeth Mawr, the estuary of Afon Glaslyn. It was originally intended to be a post town on a direct road between London and Dublin, via Porthdinllaen on the Lleyn peninsula, a project that in due course lost out to the Holyhead Road. Tremadog was laid out around a market square, with market hall, coaching inn, houses and shops, with a church and chapel just outside the centre. Building of this small planned development, as well as a separate woollen manufactory, began c1805 and was largely completed by the time Richard Colt Hoare described it in 1810.
The lamp post is dated 1879, although the 1888 Ordnance Survey shows a well here. In 1810 Richard Fenton noted a pump and a stone cross in the market square, and perhaps the present steps were the base of this cross.
An octagonal stepped freestone plinth with a tall fluted cast iron lamp post and lantern. The post has, in raised letters, 'JH Williams & Son, Portmadoc, 1879'.
Listed as C19 street furniture occupying a focal point in the centre of the Market Square, and for its contribution to the overall historical integrity of Tremadog.
Other nearby listed buildings