This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.9202 / 52°55'12"N
Longitude: -4.2311 / 4°13'51"W
OS Eastings: 250099
OS Northings: 338193
OS Grid: SH500381
Mapcode National: GBR 5K.N4P7
Mapcode Global: WH44D.ZVCP
Entry Name: Church of Saint Deiniol
Listing Date: 2 August 1949
Last Amended: 12 December 1994
Source ID: 4610
Building Class: Religious, Ritual and Funerary
Location: Set back from the main A497 road in a disused churchyard towards the centre of the town at Y Maes, and close to the junction with Lon Ednyfed.
Community: Criccieth (Cricieth)
Built-Up Area: Criccieth
Traditional County: Caernarfonshire
Built 1884-7 as a chapel of ease to the Parish Church of Saint Catherine, to serve as an English Church for the growing resort. Designed by Douglas and Fordham, architects, of Chester, but never finished. The church closed for worship in 1988, and converted into flats in 1994.
Snecked dark rubble facings with red sandstone dressings including bands, slate roofs with red tiled cresting. Aisled nave with clerestory, S porch and N baptistery, short chancel, S transept balanced by N organ chamber and vestry. Western tower never built. Geometric Gothic style. Toothed masonry and blocked arch to the never-built W tower in W wall, with flanking buttresses; gabled bellcote on apex of gable above. Polygonal baptistery to NW. Plate traceried 2-light windows to clerestory, and paired wide lancet windows to low aisles, which are clasped between ramped buttresses. Gabled buttressed S porch. Splayed buttresses to transept, with ramped aprons to windows. Rich geometric traceried 7-light E window to chancel, and stepped lancet windows to N and S.
The original interior had a wide 6-bay nave with boarded wagon roof supported by false hammer-beam trusses and wind braces. Arcade of continuous low pointed arches (without capitals) to corridor aisles, and recessed clerestory windows above. High chancel arch sprung form corbels, and similar arches to either side of chancel. Boarded and ribbed chancel ceiling with arched braced trusses.
Other nearby listed buildings