This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.9216 / 52°55'17"N
Longitude: -4.2703 / 4°16'12"W
OS Eastings: 247468
OS Northings: 338437
OS Grid: SH474384
Mapcode National: GBR 5J.MTCH
Mapcode Global: WH44D.CTSL
Plus Code: 9C4QWPCH+MV
Entry Name: Moriah Methodist Chapel
Listing Date: 24 October 1991
Last Amended: 31 March 1999
Source ID: 4624
Building Class: Religious, Ritual and Funerary
Location: The building is located at the centre of the village, set back from and below the road; opposite the Lloyd George Memorial Museum. The lawned churchyard has a low rubble boundary wall to the road.
Traditional County: Caernarfonshire
The chapel was built in 1936 to the design of Clough Williams-Ellis, creator of Portmeirion; it succeeded the original chapel, built in 1866 and damaged by fire.
Built of local rubble with a slated roof, cement rendered to the apsidal ends, and having small slates to the roofs with deep boarded eaves and moulded cornice. Distinctive, symmetrical chapel design with long 2 3 2-window front, hipped roof and apsidal ends; tall, small-pane, metal-frame glazing and central bellcote over the gable. The bellcote has a swept pyramidal copper roof - the bell missing at time of inspection. The central 3-windows are round-headed and grouped together under a pediment which contains oval date plaque with flanking swags; outer windows are square-headed. The apsidal ends have high square small windows with triangular panes. The main entrance is at the left end with a pair of panelled, double-doors with semicircular steps. Half-glazed lean-to at left hand end and rear; rubble vestry to rear with three broad, small-pane, metal-frame windows and cement rendered chimney stack to centre. Behind this the main body of the chapel has 3-pane clerestory windows.
Simple rectangular interior with original furnishings including bowed front to the set fawr and stepped reredos behind pulpit.
Listed as an important example of the work of the notable C20 Welsh architect, Sir Clough Williams Ellis, a distinctive essay in classicism, elegantly composed and detailed.
Other nearby listed buildings