This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.8579 / 52°51'28"N
Longitude: -3.6811 / 3°40'52"W
OS Eastings: 286907
OS Northings: 330254
OS Grid: SH869302
Mapcode National: GBR 69.S08S
Mapcode Global: WH67B.FFBF
Plus Code: 9C4RV859+4H
Entry Name: Prys Mawr
Listing Date: 20 October 1966
Last Amended: 31 January 2001
Source ID: 4687
Building Class: Domestic
Location: Located approximately 0.5km W of Llanuwchllyn village, set back from the road and surrounded by mature trees; accessed via a track running W from the road.
Traditional County: Merionethshire
Sub-medieval lesser gentry house with earlier timber-framed origins; owned by a junior branch of the Vaughans of nearby Caer Gai by the late C17. The house occupies the site of a medieval 'tref' known as Prysg, hence the name. In its present form it is of storeyed end chimney type and stylistically belongs to the late C16 or early C17. Although it has a datestone above the entrance of 1685 the present house is probably that mentioned as having four hearths in the 1662 Hearth Tax; the datestone would therefore relate to later alterations. In a rear wing there is wall post evidence for the earlier building. The roof and chimneys were renewed c1890.
Storeyed end chimney house, probably early C17, with later datestone of 1685 and earlier timber-framed origins to a rear wing; L-shaped on plan. Of local stone construction with later slated roofs and squat end chimneys; plain cornice bands. Asymmetrical four window front with off-centre entrance to the L. This has a segmentally-arched doorway with rough-dressed slatestone voussoirs. Above this is an inset slatestone plaque with the incised date 1685 and the initials V (for Vaughan) WK. C20, six-pane timber-framed cross-windows with wrought iron opening lights (of c1890) to both floors, the openings mostly enlargements of the C19; a blocked former window to the L of the entrance probably relates to the window arrangement pre the 1890s alterations. The main block has roughcast rear and R side elevations, and has an extruded, slated lean-to in the angle between it and the gabled rear wing to the L. The gabled wing itself retains its tall early chimney with contemporary capping, and has a whitened brick lean-to to its L side. This is slated and has a boarded door with glazed upper panel to the end. C19 cross-window to the first floor of the rear wing, above the whitened lean-to.
End-chimney with cross-passage plan, with hall to the R and former parlour to the L, and with the primary rear wing serving as the kitchen. The latter has a 3-bay pegged collar-truss roof of C17 type and an embedded wall post within the partition between this wing and the main range. The former hall has a beamed ceiling framed in 3 ways with wide stopped-chamfered main and subsidiary beams and narrow chamfered joists. In the centre of the rear partition wall between the main and rear ranges, is a large chamfered post on a stone plinth; this supports the main lateral ceiling beam by a substantial attached bracket. This arrangement appears to be contemporary with the ceiling. Flat bressummer to wide former inglenook, now reduced and with c1890 brick fireplace in front. Flanking the fireplace are blocked recesses, that to the R apparently still retaining the primary newel stair. The former parlour (L of the entrance) has a similar framed ceiling with ogee stops to the chamfered members. Bolted king post trusses to the main roof.
Listed for its special interest as a C17 storeyed end chimney house with earlier timber-framed origins retaining good historic character.
Other nearby listed buildings