This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.6512 / 52°39'4"N
Longitude: -3.9777 / 3°58'39"W
OS Eastings: 266307
OS Northings: 307772
OS Grid: SH663077
Mapcode National: GBR 8X.617Z
Mapcode Global: WH570.WM1D
Entry Name: Cae'r Berllan
Listing Date: 14 June 1952
Last Amended: 10 April 2000
Source ID: 4711
Building Class: Domestic
Location: The farmhouse stands back from the farm buildings, facing the W.
Traditional County: Merionethshire
The earliest phase of the present house was probably erected in c1590 itself probably replacing an earlier house on the site. The owner was Hugh Lewis Owen, attorney at law and son of Baron Lewis Owen (d.1555), and his wife Katherine (Pughe) ap Ieuan of Mathafarn. The household was described by Owain Gwynedd (1550-1590) in his cywyddau eulogising family pedigrees, and their initials with the date appear in stone over the front door. Hugh Owen is described as a 'fluent lawyer and a welcoming host who kept a good table'. The house passed to John Owen and Suzannah of Merben, and then to Edward Pughe, who was a subscriber to William Owen-Pughe's Dictionary. The house was altered c1690, probably the date of the present facade, at which time the rear wing was possibly added, and again in 1755, when it is said (inscription by front door) to have been rebuilt by the 4th descendant, Hugh Owen and KO. This may be the date of the lean-to kitchen built against the rear wing. The property subsequently passed through the Griffiths family, owners in the 1838 tithe award, when it held 590 acres (238.8ha) of mixed arable and pasture, valued at £22.2s (£22.10p), higher than any other local property, and later the Vaughan family, owners in the later C19. It was reroofed in 1973.
Built of coursed local rubble stonework, with a slate roof between raised gables and gable stacks. Two storeys, attics and cellars, the front of 5 window bays, approximately symmetrical but offset to the left. The earliest section appears to now be confined to the uncoursed rubble walling at the right hand end and the attached stepped gable, all probably of c1590. The facade was apparently largely rebuilt in coursed stone c1690, and consists of a central 6 x bead-panelled door and 4-pane overlight, and two timber cross windows each side, all openings having voussoired lintels rising to a square section plat band which stops short at each end. Above the door the band develops as a moulded head, and above it, a further moulded flat stone canopy course and datestone HO 1590 KO. Five similar cross windows to the first floor, but with leaded glazing, and the flat radial voussoir arches rise to the eaves. Three widely spaced gabled dormers. The rear wing is of 2 storeys with a gable end stack. The rear roof of the house is continued down over a lean-to kitchen in the re-entrant angle. Rear door and paned timber windows.
The front door opens to a wide entrance hall and a fine late C17-early C18 dog-leg oak stair at the rear, with a heavy moulded handrail supported on turned balusters. To the right, the main parlour, which has deep closely-spaced cross beams running front to back, with cut chamfer stops. Large fireplace with deep unchamfered timber lintel, and recessed at the side of which is a blocked door. The front window nearest the fireplace has a thick stone sill cut with two hemispherical cordial bowls, each with a firebox under. Fielded-panelled doors on the first floor and a bolection moulded fireplace in the main chamber. Panelled reveals to the windows. The main stair continues up to attic level. Knee-braced collar trusses, each supporting very heavy king posts with raking struts, all probably a late C17 remodelling and using many old timbers. Two tiers of purlins.
Included at Grade II* as the major C17 gentry house of the area, with C16 work, including a rare stepped gable, incorporated in a good balaced elevation. Internal detail of high quality including the stair, and the special interest of the cordial bowls.
Other nearby listed buildings