This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.6176 / 52°37'3"N
Longitude: -4.1096 / 4°6'34"W
OS Eastings: 257274
OS Northings: 304295
OS Grid: SH572042
Mapcode National: GBR 8Q.84S0
Mapcode Global: WH574.VG6M
Entry Name: Bron Clydwr
Listing Date: 14 June 1952
Last Amended: 7 June 2005
Source ID: 4712
Building Class: Domestic
Location: Reached by minor road and farm track approximately 1.5km SSW of Rhoslefain hamlet.
Community: Llangelynin (Llangelynnin)
Traditional County: Merionethshire
Built by Hugh Owen in 1688 (date on the fireplace lintel). Originally a storeyed hall house, probably with integral rear wing, it was heightened in the C18. It was described in 1914 as having been recently rebuilt and modernised.
Hugh Owen (1639-1700) was an Independent minister and overseer of non-conformists in Merioneth in the late C17. In 1672 he received a licence to preach in his own house, and then preached more widely after the 1689 Toleration Act.
A 2½-storey house of rubble stone, slate roof and tall stone end stacks. It has a central half-lit panel door. To its L is an added conservatory and to its R are inserted French windows. In the upper storey are three 4-pane horned sash windows closely spaced in the centre of the elevation. Three later gabled dormers have similar windows. In the L gable end is an inserted small window to the L side in the lower storey, and replacement window above it. An added lean-to behind the main range has C20 detail. The lower 1½-storey rear wing is also of rubble stone, with renewed slate roof and central stone ridge stack. It has 3 half dormers with 4-pane horned sash windows. In the lower storey are three 4-pane sash windows (replacing mid C20 steel-framed windows) and, at the L end, is a boarded door and overlight.
The original hall, on the R side, has a cambered timber fireplace lintel inscribed 'O HM 1688' (Hugh and Martha Owen). The former parlour on the L side has a chamfered timber fireplace lintel on stone jambs, although the lintel may be re-used as its stops indicate a wider opening. The main range has cross beams with ogee stops. One room in the rear wing has a spine beam with similar detail.
Listed, notwithstanding alteration to the front, as a C17 house retaining original detail, and for its important historical association with the non-conformist cause in late C17 Merionethshire. The house forms part of a strong historical group with the farm buildings.
Other nearby listed buildings