This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.6122 / 52°36'43"N
Longitude: -4.1141 / 4°6'50"W
OS Eastings: 256956
OS Northings: 303703
OS Grid: SH569037
Mapcode National: GBR 8Q.8HPK
Mapcode Global: WH574.SL3R
Entry Name: Cefn Camberth
Listing Date: 7 June 2005
Last Amended: 7 June 2005
Source ID: 84467
Location: Cefn Camberrth is reached by private track 700m SE of Tonfanau station.
Community: Llangelynin (Llangelynnin)
Traditional County: Merionethshire
C18 farm buildings indicate an earlier house than the present house, of which the front portion is mid C19, probably added to the original house. This original house was then taken down when the rear of the house was rebuilt and extended in 1871 (date on building with the initials MTP, possibly referring to the Pughe family, landowners in the parish), to create a small country house of different character and status to the farm buildings.
A small country house of 2 storeys with attics, comprising a mid C19 front (SW) range, with later L-shaped rear (NE) wing of 1871. Both are of rubble stone, of which the SW range is composed of large roughly coursed blocks, and the rear is of random rubble with bigger quoins. Roofs are slate, of which the SW range is half-hipped, with stone ridge stacks. The 3-bay SW range has 12-pane horned sash windows, larger in the lower storey, and blind central bay. The entrance is in the R-hand, SE end wall, which is of scribed roughcast, offset to the R in an added flat-roof porch with replacement door and round-headed sash window in the side wall. Above the porch is a 4-pane horned sash window and central replacement attic window. In the L, NW end wall is an original 4-pane horned sash to the attic, and between the SW range and rear wing a 2-storey canted bay window with 4-pane sashes.
The rear wing, set back to the L, is what became the 2-window SW entrance elevation of the house when it was rebuilt in 1871. It has segmental-headed windows with brick dressings, and 4-pane sash windows. Windows are not aligned between storeys, and the attic has a single gabled dormer with pendant finial. The entrance is in the L side in a gabled porch. It has a round-headed doorway with brick dressings, boarded door and plain overlight, and pendant finial. It is surmounted by a gabled freestone bellcote with single bell and the inscription 'MTP 1871'. The 4-window rear (NE) has similar detail, with a gable on the L side. The 2-window SE elevation of the rear wing has a central panelled door under a narrow overlight and 4-pane sash windows. The rear of the SW range has a 12-pane sash window lighting the stair.
Listed for its special architectural interest as a small, well-preserved C19 country house forming a strong visual group with the farm buildings and well.
Other nearby listed buildings