History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Gwyndy Bach

A Grade II Listed Building in Bodffordd, Isle of Anglesey

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.2882 / 53°17'17"N

Longitude: -4.414 / 4°24'50"W

OS Eastings: 239182

OS Northings: 379516

OS Grid: SH391795

Mapcode National: GBR HNG0.JVB

Mapcode Global: WH42L.5MC3

Entry Name: Gwyndy Bach

Listing Date: 5 April 1971

Last Amended: 31 January 2001

Grade: II

Source: Cadw

Source ID: 5292

Building Class: Domestic

Location: Slightly set back from, and at angle to, the W side of the B5109 NW of Glan-yr-afon; in a prominent roadside position near the school.

County: Isle of Anglesey

Community: Bodffordd

Community: Bodffordd

Locality: Llandrygarn

Find accommodation in
Gwalchmai

History

Late C18 house with a slate tablet above the central entrance inscribed P / TM / 1780. Extended to the rear by the addition of a gabled wing in late C20.
The house is not marked on the Tithe Map of the parish, 1840, however the map was not comprehensively annotated and not all buildings were shown. Gwyndy Bach was built on land then owned by William Wynne Sparrow Esq, part of the extensive farmstead centred around the farm and coaching house at nearby Gwyndy. The 1841 Census Returns record numerous occupants of Gwyndy Bach, which then may have included other cottages close by the house; including Owen Williams, Miller, and his extended family as well as 2 other families among whom were 4 joiners and 2 agricultural labourers.

Exterior

C18 2 storey house, with single storey wing in line to L (S) and lean-to R. Built of rubble masonry; slate sills. Modern roof of small slates, gable stacks with dripstones and capping. Recessed horned sash windows: ground floor 12-pane windows, smaller 1st floor 4-pane windows set directly under the eaves. Central entrance has a shallow rectangular overlight and a slate tablet above inscribed P / TM / 1780. The single storey wing is advanced from the main elevation and has a blocked doorway to the front; a small-paned replacement casement is in the N wall. The lean-to has a boarded door to the L.
The gabled extension to rear is 2-storey, ground floor with slate cladding and wide doorway to R, first floor with wood cladding and large modern window; slate roof. There is a lower, single storey, block to rear (R) built of rubble masonry with a slate roof; single modern window.

Interior

Interior not inspected at the time of the survey. Said to retain a hewn, wide-boarded, partition.

Reasons for Listing

Listed as a good late C18 house which retains a strong vernacular character.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

  • II Melin Newydd
    Set back from the E side of a country road leading N off the B5109 between Glan-yr-afon and Trefor.
  • II Church of St Trygarn
    In an isolated rural location. Set back, down a trackway, from the S side of the B5109 between Trefor and Glan-yr-afon.
  • II Sherry
    Set back from the NW side of a country road leading NE from the B5109 at Gwyndy.
  • II Church of St Cynfarwy
    Within a rectangular churchyard set back from SE side of the B5112; S of the staggered junction at the centre of the small hamlet of Llechynfarwy.

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.