This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 53.3253 / 53°19'31"N
Longitude: -4.3638 / 4°21'49"W
OS Eastings: 242663
OS Northings: 383538
OS Grid: SH426835
Mapcode National: GBR HMLX.9V3
Mapcode Global: WH42D.YP53
Entry Name: Capel Peniel and chapel house
Listing Date: 12 May 1970
Last Amended: 16 March 2001
Source ID: 5350
Building Class: Religious, Ritual and Funerary
Location: Located at the NE side of the B5111 leading SE from the village of Llanerchymedd.
County: Isle of Anglesey
Built-Up Area: Llanerchymedd
Traditional County: Anglesey
Early C19 Independent chapel; a name and date plaque records that the chapel was sanctified in 1811, and was 'THE GIFT OF RICD ROBTS. Remodelled in the late C19 and C20, with some original openings blocked and others cut. Marked on the Tithe Map of the parish, 1841, and recorded as being on land belonging to Hugh Hughes; the Census Returns of the same year records the chapel house and adjacent cottages as being occupied by Evan Davies, Independent Minister, and family, a lady living on independent means and 2 schoolmistresses.
Early C19 lateral entry chapel and chapel house, in alignment, at L (SW) end. Built of rubble masonry with a slate roof, the chapel house has rendered rectangular stacks with capping, a gable stack to L and axial stack offset to R of the doorway. Windows have slate sills and the ground floor openings have rough voussoir heads. The chapel has a single doorway to R with a small casement window set under the eaves over; the doorway to the L has been blocked and a larger, 12-pane, 1st floor, horned sash window inserted. The chapel house is a 2-window range with doorway between, offset to L; replacement casement windows with rendered architraves and modern door in a modern gabled porch. The rear elevation of the range has an irregular mix of windows. The chapel has 2 blocked 1st floor openings and a blocked ground floor doorway; remodelled with 3 x 1st floor windows of different sizes, including a small 4-paned horned sash to R, ground floor casement window with smooth rendered architrave. The chapel house has 1st floor casement windows; the ground floor has a single doorway, below the L (NE) stack with flanking casement windows and a single casement to R with original rough voussoir head.
Interior not inspected at the time of the survey. Said, in previous listing description, to contain a gallery on wood octagonal posts. Pulpit and box pews, with sunk panels.
Listed, notwithstanding alterations, as a small early C19 rural chapel and chapelhouse which retains strong vernacular character.
Other nearby listed buildings